Friday, January 9, 2009

Weened

It's a bittersweet day.
Brianna has stopped nursing.
Notice how I said SHE has stopped. It's all her, not me.
This tragic downturn began last week when Brianna broke her 10-month streak of being illness-free. She acquired a nasty cold virus, impairing her ability to breathe through her cute little nose. So for a few days, I just pumped and gave her the bottle. Apparently it's easier to breathe through the nose when using a bottle versus breastfeeding because the mouth doesn't have to open as wide, blocking the nostrils. Sadly, this interruption in direct nursing has turned out to be permanent. She just refuses me! I attempt, and she looks at me like, "whaddya doin', you crazy lady?!" Honestly, I'm pretty sad. I miss that bonding time.
Never-fear though - pumping will continue indefinitely. She will exclusively drink the good stuff as long as I can sanely handle this milkcow machine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry, I was really sad when Abby stopped nursing too, I wasn't ready but she was!

Ya Ya said...

I feel for you! Topher stopped cold turkey right before he turned 1. He wouldn't take anything in a bottle, we had to go to a sippy cup. And I wasn't pumping, so imagine my joy!

summer said...

That is how Madeleine stopped - it was when she got a cold, and it was just too hard to breathe. However, I didn't have a pump or think of it at the time...duh, that would have been brilliant on my end. Way to keep pumping to give her the "golden" stuff!!