Friday, January 30, 2009

teeth brushing

We've had issues lately with brushing Brianna's eight teeth.
We were lazy and didn't start brushing her teeth til she was six months. I used a finger brush with banana flavored baby toothpaste and she loved it! Loved it - past tense. Not anymore.

One day she decided she HATED having her teeth brushed. So she started biting the finger brush (thus, my finger) HARD. So we switched to a regular brush. She hated the process even more. I don't get it - we use the yummy baby toothpaste, we try to make it fun, we brush our teeth to show her how much we enjoy it... yet she continues to cry and push us away the whole time. We often just pin her arms down and make her endure 20 seconds of torture. Better than rotten baby teeth, right?

But I've found another solution - letting her do it herself. The little stinker is quite independent - maybe that's her problem. So I just give her the brush and she goes to town chewing it. The question is - does this have any dental benefit for her?! I don't know. But I do know it has sanity-preserving benefits for all of us.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey

Alli does the same thing. I have talked to my dad about this a lot. I have been worried. He said that it is really good for them to chew on the toothbrush with toothpaste on it. He watched what Alli did, she walks around chewing on her toothbrush at night and he said this is great. I only worry about her back teeth, so we try to brush those.

Unknown said...

I got Addison to start brushing her teeth by giving her the toothbrush while I do her hair, so I get a twofer out of the deal! I am a bad mother though and don't make her use toothpaste yet! But we do have floride drops, so that helps, right?

Unknown said...

JOsie does the same thing. When we give her a toothbrush she take off running. We pin her down and try to at least get a section each night. It's the best we can do and she fights it every time. But there is hope. Abby loves it and will let me brush after she brushes.

Marilyn said...

We have been in St. George for a few days, and so it was fun to read your blogs that I missed. Brianna is doing well with the walking. That was so sweet of you to show her skills to Grandpa McKell.

Mandy said...

We had this same problem when the girls were little. They liked it at first and then started hating it! We came up with a compromise. Mommy or daddy get to do it first, and then it's the kid's turn. We still do it this way today. (their dentist told us that we should be helping them brush teeth until they are EIGHT!!! Yikes!) Of course, the compromise only works if they understand the concept! Maybe let Brianna help you brush your teeth . . . ? We use the same compromise with flossing. Mommy or daddy first, then it's their turn. (although they don't always want their turn to floss . . .) Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much, getting her in the habit is probably the most important thing! I would keep trying to help her some of the time. Once she gets old enough to understand, it will get alot easier! (it did for us!)

Debbie said...

When can you get her a battery operated toothbrush? When she is a little older, there is a toothbrush that plays a little song - they brush til the song is over. However, if they decide to sing along...well, go ahead and try it!