Friday, January 23, 2009

morning sickness

HELP!
It's 10:30am, and Brianna has already had breakfast, lunch, and a 90 min nap. How could she fit all that in by this early hour?
She woke up at 5am.
Yep. Up and ready to play at 5. It was painful.
She's been gradually waking up earlier and earlier for the past two weeks. A month ago she was consistently waking around 7am. But that turned into 6:45, then 6:30, then 6am...
Now we are in this completely ridiculous early-to-bed, early-to-rise routine. I have no idea where she got that absurd idea from.
Brian and I have been taking turns letting the other one sleep til 7. But it doesn't really work. Brianna is a noisy play-er. She shrieks and giggles nonstop while pushing things over and hitting her noise-making toys. Our house isn't big enough to mute that out. And honestly - despite the fact that farmers aren't even up milking their cows yet....we're both excited to see her.
Which makes sense - since we haven't seen our babe in 11 hours. Yep - do the math - she goes to bed at 6pm. I've tried keeping her up later. I really have. But when Brianna is ready to sleep... there's no convincing her otherwise.
So what do I do?!?! If you have any ideas, please call me. But not past 8pm. That's our new bedtime.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My kids go to bed early too, it started as 6 or 6:30 but now it's 7 And they wake up early too, I would love to offer advice but I haven't figured that one out yet. If they wake up cranky I rock them, but it's hard to be mad at a smiley giggly baby. good luck.

The post title made me think you were prego.

Debbie said...

The "darkened" room can help as well as keeping thing as "light" as possible in the evening time. Then, just explain the "rules" to Brianna and don't make it worth her while to rise so early!

blm_mckell said...

With the title I thought you were pregnant. I was getting excited.

As for waking up early just try as hard as you can to keep her up longer. It may make her cranky but that could help out with her getting to sleeping in.

You could also try giving her a bath at night around the time she would usually go to bed.

She could also just be hungry from being put to bed so early. Try giving her a snack after the bath then try putting her to bed.

There are so many things you can try. You need to do what works for you. She needs to fit your schedule not you fitting hers.

I hope that helps alittle.

Amy Hunter said...

Oh, all I can say, is thank goodness she's your first and you can relax or sleep when she does! Enjoy it! Then, there's always the little vodka in the bottle trick.

Dan and Anne said...

That stinks! Mess with her nap schedule and maybe you can trick her into staying up later. Beckett is a 9 - 10 pm bedtime kind of guy and then wakes up 9-10. We put the sheet over his window and it not only helps in the morning but during nap time too!

Megan Smith said...

OH, man, I thought you were expecting #2 with the title! Good way to get everyone's attention there!

Crystal and Jordan said...

oh man.....can I really do this...

chelsea mckell said...

I guess I should've chosen a different title - I got everyone excited. And it's not even April 1st yet. Just WAIT til that post!
Rach - glad to hear I'm not alone.
Mom - explain the rules to Brianna... right.
Brandi - thanks! That was helpful....we'll see what (if anything) works. I agree, in theory, that kids should fit your schedule and not vice versa... but in reality, that theory doesn't hold up at 5am when a loud jabbering baby is calling out for breakfast.
Amy - I'm calling DCFS on you for that vodka suggestion.
Crystal - YES YOU CAN do it! You'll be awesome. Who needs sleep? It's way overrated. But...til you deliver - ENJOY it while you can!

Malerie said...

sleep issues...does it ever really go away? I thought it would all be worked out by now. Madeline was doing that before Christmas and then we went on vacation where there was a time difference...somehow she adjusted and it cured it! (even when we came home) Sounds like you guys need a vacation :)