|I'm so grateful they got there in time and got my family OUT!|
|The scene in front of their home, from Mere's phone camera.|
Soon Meredith called me and told me the cause of it all - carbon monoxide poisoning. I gasped - totally shocked. I had just told them a few weeks ago - via email - that they needed CO detectors in their home. I shared with them the story of the family in Idaho who all died from CO poisoning in their sleep. Mom said they didn't have detectors. I told them to get some. I found out later that dad soon went out and bought them... but hadn't installed them yet.
|Two days in the hospital, three 3-hr treatments in the hyperbaric chambers.|
I stayed with her on the phone as she was driving behind the ambulance taking my parents to Deaconess Hospital. She was frustrated that she couldn't keep up with the ambulance and they specifically told her not to speed. She described how she watched the fireman carry mom and Lily out of the house, and assist Dad walking out.
|Princess Lily, enduring a lot of pokes and tubes.|
The reading on the house: 760ppm (parts per million). A home shouldn't ever be over 30ppm. Yeah, THIRTY. And theirs was at 760.
After Mere got to the hospital and everyone was admitted and starting their treatments to get the CO out of their bodies.... I realized it was time to tell the world. For attention? Hardly. My parents wouldn't appreciate unnecessary attention, especially my Dad. But I knew they WOULD appreciate the opportunity to warn others, so they could help prevent this happening to anyone else.
"Behold, I sent you out to testify and the people, and it every who hath been to his neighbor." - D&C 88:81
So I posted it about it on Facebook, saying, "Early this morning, my mom used her last ounce of strength to tell Siri to call 911. If she hadn't, my parents and niece likely would've died today from carbon monoxide poisoning. PEOPLE - make sure you and everyone you know have working CO detectors in your homes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning
I was pleasantly surprised at the response! Lots of people sent their sympathies and shared in the relief that my fam survived. But even more important - so many told me that they ordered their CO detectors that very day. Or they went and checked the battery on their existing detectors. Many "Shared" my post with all of their friends, reminding and warning them of the dangers of carbon monoxide. So amazing - the power of social media - saving lives.
I had the whim thought to contact the local Spokane news station and inform them that they have 3 Spokanites who are lucky to be alive after a near fatal CO poisoning incident. Too dramatic? Well, it's the TRUTH! Fortunately, they jumped at the story and went and interviewed Meredith and my parents and Lily at the hospital. Meredith said my parents were initially reluctant to go on camera, but by the end, actually seemed to get a kick out of it. Krem 2 aired the story twice - the morning news and evening news. I'm really glad I contacted them! Maybe saving MORE lives!
Watch the Krem 2 News story HERE.
Since then, Mom said she has been "recognized" around town a little. Oh, my celebrity survivor parents... :)
|Lily FINALLY got to go home from the hospital!|
Her pneumonia was scary and makes me grateful
for modern medicine. Poor girl has been thru a lot!
They reallyreallyreally could've died this day.
So easily. They were minutes away.
I could have LOST my PARENTS.
I'm so too young for that.
And for Meredith to lose her parents and daughter... unfathomable. Maybe we don't even fully realize how close it was. They surely had angels with them.
Heavenly Father gave us the greatest gift - more years with these wonderful people.