Monday, March 31, 2014

That one time my parents almost died from CO poisoning

I received a call early in the morning from my sister in Spokane as she was racing over to our parent's home following a bizarre call from our mom. Meredith said mom was crying and moaning and was difficult to understand and was saying, "I can't move my body at all. I can't dial 911. Call 911. Get over here quick, something is wrong....."
I'm so grateful they got there in time and got my family OUT!

The scene in front of their home, from Mere's phone camera.
We talked about the possibilities - bizarre virus? Flu? E. Coli? Food Poisoning? Panic attack?  I hung up and tried Dad and Mom. No answer. I called Lindsay in Seattle. She used her other phone and called mom, who answered, and was now sobbing and totally incoherent. Lindsay told me to hang up and call Mere and be sure Mere calls 911 right away. Mere did, but arrived at our parent's home to find a fire truck and ambulance already there.  I texted all my siblings and told them to start praying for mom and dad and Lily.
 Soon Meredith called me and told me the cause of it all - carbon monoxide poisoning.  I gasped - totally shocked. I had just told them a few weeks ago - via email - that they needed CO detectors in their home. I shared with them the story of the family in Idaho who all died from CO poisoning in their sleep. Mom said they didn't have detectors. I told them to get some. I found out later that dad soon went out and bought them... but hadn't installed them yet.
Two days in the hospital, three 3-hr treatments in the hyperbaric chambers.
The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent receiving updates from Meredith on my parent's condition.
 I stayed with her on the phone as she was driving behind the ambulance taking my parents to Deaconess Hospital. She was frustrated that she couldn't keep up with the ambulance and they specifically told her not to speed. She described how she watched the fireman carry mom and Lily out of the house, and assist Dad walking out.
Princess Lily, enduring a lot of pokes and tubes.  
And how they went in to rescue the cat.  The cat??!  We don't have a cat... oh wait, the fireman quickly found out he rescued a very life-like FAKE cat :)
The reading on the house:  760ppm (parts per million). A home shouldn't ever be over 30ppm. Yeah, THIRTY. And theirs was at 760.
After Mere got to the hospital and everyone was admitted and starting their treatments to get the CO out of their bodies.... I realized it was time to tell the world. For attention? Hardly. My parents wouldn't appreciate unnecessary attention, especially my Dad. But I knew they WOULD appreciate the opportunity to warn others, so they could help prevent this happening to anyone else.
"Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor."  - D&C 88:81

So I posted it about it on Facebook, saying, "Early this morning, my mom used her last ounce of strength to tell Siri to call 911. If she hadn't, my parents and niece likely would've died today from carbon monoxide poisoning. PEOPLE - make sure you and everyone you know have working CO detectors in your homes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning
I was pleasantly surprised at the response! Lots of people sent their sympathies and shared in the relief that my fam survived. But even more important - so many told me that they ordered their CO detectors that very day. Or they went and checked the battery on their existing detectors. Many "Shared" my post with all of their friends, reminding and warning them of the dangers of carbon monoxide. So amazing - the power of social media - saving lives.
I had the whim thought to contact the local Spokane news station and inform them that they have 3 Spokanites who are lucky to be alive after a near fatal CO poisoning incident.   Too dramatic? Well, it's the TRUTH!  Fortunately, they jumped at the story and went and interviewed Meredith and my parents and Lily at the hospital. Meredith said my parents were initially reluctant to go on camera, but by the end, actually seemed to get a kick out of it. Krem 2 aired the story twice - the morning news and evening news. I'm really glad I contacted them! Maybe saving MORE lives!
Watch the Krem 2 News story HERE. 
Since then, Mom said she has been "recognized" around town a little.  Oh, my celebrity survivor parents...  :)
Lily FINALLY got to go home from the hospital!
Her pneumonia was scary and makes me grateful
for modern medicine. Poor girl has been thru a lot!
Seriously though... can I thank God enough for saving them from this??!
They reallyreallyreally could've died this day.
So easily. They were minutes away.
 I could have LOST my PARENTS.
I'm so too young for that.
And for Meredith to lose her parents and daughter... unfathomable.  Maybe we don't even fully realize how close it was. They surely had angels with them.

Heavenly Father gave us the greatest gift - more years with these wonderful people.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing this, Chelsea. I'm Heather and I was wondering if you could answer a quick question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com I would greatly appreciate it :-)

Sally Jackson said...

Chelsea, I am so glad they are ok now. People need to be reminded that CO2 poisoning is real, and not just somehting that happens to someone else. It could happen to any of us, as it did your parents! We have TWO detectors in our house now, one up and one down, and I check the batteries weekly! Thanks for sharing