Sunday, August 31, 2008
About a month ago, I realized that Brianna was turning 6 months old and had still never had a drop of anything but breastmilk. I figured it was about time for me to overcome my anxiety over trying new things and start the "solids." (I was confused at first why these first foods are referred to as SOLIDS. There is nothing solid about the baby cereals and pureed veggies. Then I realized that they are called solids because of what they do at the OTHER end.)
Saturday, August 30, 2008
I think Ive mentioned before that Im in a group called VernalMoms. Its a bunch of moms in Vernal (no kidding). We get together for activities and outings a few times a week. I think its more catered to those who have children in the "cooperative-play" age (to steal a term from my child development book), but Brianna and I still manage to fit in.
Last week we went to Steinaker Lake and had a great time! Its a quaint sandy beach with cottonwoods for shade. The water was a little chilly (hense the unhappy look on Briannas face) but the novelty of it distracted her enough to let us spend some time splashing.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Still playing catchup...
These pictures are the first time I caught Brianna sitting up on her own - about 3 weeks ago. Like really sitting up. Not that awkward phase where they tip over after 10 seconds. And, as usual, it wasnt me who figured out she could do it. Brian did. He is always the one to push her development and discover that she can do new things. Why is that?!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
This event was a little over a month ago in Soldier Hollow near Midway. We were in Park City for the weekend at a mini-McKell reunion (kindof), and found out this 10K was going on nearby at the OLYMPIC cross country ski trails. So I signed up, invited Ashley to go, and Brian surprised us last minute by agreeing to join in! He hasnt run more than a few miles the entire summer, so I was half impressed with his spontaneous decision, and half fearful for his life.
Turns out I was RIGHT. This was us BEFORE the race....
It was KILLER! Constant ascents and descents,turns, weeds and grass and soft dirt to run through, and 80 degree weather. Seriously, Ive done a lot of races in my life, and this really was the TOUGHEST 10K. It lived up to the name.
This is a pic of where it was held. Like I said - it was the Olympic cross country ski course
Aunt Jamie was kind enough to go with us and take care of Brianna (which she does like a pro. The lady is fabulous with children). This is a picture of her holding Brianna and her cousin Kandalyn later on that night at Landons bday party in Spanish Fork.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Brianna and her special friend Boston hold hands for the first time! I think Brianna was the one who initiated the hand-hold. She is so forward already with the boys... its a little scary... Bostons parents are the fabulous Rhett and Julie, who have been friends with us for years. We used to have FHE together every week before the kiddos were born. Maybe someday we will have FHE together every week again... when Boston and Brianna get married and we wanna play with our grandkids...
This pic and video were at Cold Stone. They have a new variety - NRgize (pronounced ENERGIZE. Took me awhile to get it). I was collecting on my FREE Cold Stone LoveIt creation for my birthday. Did you know you get a free one on your bday? Just sign up online! Brian and I shared ours. Not with Brianna though. We are so mean. But she was too busy flirting with Boston anyways. Can you blame her? He is one handsome little boy!
Friday, August 22, 2008
Im having so much fun with this baby-food experiment!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Being a Branch Manager, Brian gets to drive a company car to and from work each day. But what happens when he markets and sells so well that he rents out every single car in his fleet, including his own?
He rides his BIKE home!
And what happens when he sells out early in the morning - what does he do the rest of the day?
He rides around Vernal to his various marketing targets - auto body shops, insurance agents, etc - and tells them "see this? Im so dedicating to taking care of your customers that I will even ride my bike and give them my last vehicle!"
He gets the biggest kick out of it - you should see the proud smile on his face. Like just as proud as the day Brianna was born. Sheesh... what is it with men and their jobs... ?!
Hope you can see these pics ok - theyre taken with my camera phone. We are having issues with our digital camera. Apparently, the USB attachment isnt meant to be chewed on and bent up.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
1. What is his name? Brian Berrett McKell
2. Who eats more? Hmmm….tough to say. He eats more at one sitting, I eat more throughout the day.
3. Who said "I love you" first? HE did. By the duck pond in Spanish Fork. I didn’t say it back til the next day – his birthday.
4. Who is taller? HE is, of course. Anything else would be unacceptable.
5. Who is smarter? This is a horrible question. How is smart being defined? I earned better grades in school, but he speaks three languages fluently. I am “quicker” and more people/book-smart, but he is a human GPS and rarely gets lost. So whatever conclusion you wanna make from that.
6. Who is more sensitive? Again, horrible question. Sensitive in what aspect? I get my feelings hurt easier, but he cant stand seeing blood (whereas I love watching the DiscoveryHealth TV station when they show surgeries). Ive never seen Brian cry. Ever. He saw me cry just last week when I got stung by a bee.
7. Who does the laundry? Both of us. He does whites usually because he doesn’t like how I do it. We have a ongoing dispute over drying – Im all about hanging items up to air-dry, he prefers the dryer.
8. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Again, dumb question. We sleep on top of each other all night, duh.
9. Who pays the bills? Me
10. Who cooks more? Me
11. What meals do you cook together? Ummm... again, I usually take charge in that department. He helps out when I ask him too, and fends for himself when Im busy/gone.
12. Who is more stubborn? Me. Definitely me. No doubt about it, it's me. Me.
13. Who is the first to admit they are wrong? Well… me, but not because I am wrong more often – just the opposite. I am so rarely wrong that on the few occasions it happens, I quickly admit to it. Brian takes a loooong time to own up. He is getting better though. The trick is to not be assertive unless youre positive of your correctness.
14. Who has more siblings? Me. I am the 7th of 8, he is the last of 5. Yeah, I married the baby of the family. He still suffers from being treated as it.
15. Who wears the pants in the relationship? Contrary to what anyone who knows us may think, it's really Brian. He is just very laid back and allows me to call the shots most of the time. But when an issue comes up that he feels strongly about, I listen and we usually go his way.
16. What do you like to do together? TOTALLY DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES! He likes to watch movies, go out to eat, sit around with family/friends…. I like to play games (board games and sports-type), go on walks, work on projects, garden, read, workout…. But we do both enjoy spooning, so that keeps us together.
17. Who eats more sweets? Me, by far. Brian would rather have a second dinner for dessert.
18. What is his guilty pleasure? Watching sports on TV and reading ESPN.com
19. How did you meet? On the beach of the North Shore of Hawaii. Not kidding. Beat that.
20. Who asked who out first? He asked me to the BYU-Hawaii “Fall Ball” – which was on a cruise ship around Honolulu Bay.
21. Who kissed who first? He kissed me. It was in the morning by my front door as I was getting ready to leave for a XC race on the Big Island. It was kindof an awkward one, so I chased him down and told him to do it again.
22. Who proposed? He did. On a canoe pushed by a Fijian through the river in the Polynesian Cultural Center, after hours. The same place Elvis proposed to his wife, incidentally.
23. His best features? Have you seen him?! He is GORGEOUS! So flippin hot! Eyes, hair, nose, ears, lips, jawline… Ill stop there.
24. What is his greatest quality? He is so patient with me. I have so many flaws and shortcomings, and he loves me unconditionally. Also, it has been said by others – he is a man without guile.
25. Tag: everyone who loves their hubby too (guilt-trip, I know)
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Somebody please inform Brianna that she is supposed to be fascinated and enthralled with the Baby Einstein videos.
I was thrilled to discover that the Vernal library has the entire collection available. So I brought one home, put in on the laptop, set her next to it in her bouncy chair... and she just laughed at me. No attention given to the French-speaking puppets whatsoever.
I dont get it... I thought babies all loved this stuff.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Post-bath, Brianna is always one happy little girl. She shrieks and giggles and kicks and waves... it makes us sad to put her away to sleep for the night! This wasnt her best performance - she tends to get camera-shy. But hopefully you get the idea.
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Friday, August 1, 2008
After last Saturdays 10K, Brianna (aka Brinana) and I shared a banana for the first time. If she turns out like her mom, this will be the first of many.