Sunday, January 4, 2009

Milk Donor

Some people donate blood, some donate plasma…. I donate breastmilk.





A couple weeks ago I sent my first shipment out to the International Breast Milk Project bank. The IBMP sends frozen breastmilk to Africa for children in need, and retains some for domestic use in hospital NICUs.
Over the past 10 months I have been “pumping” everyday. Brianna doesn’t always drink as much as I produce, so I end up freezing some in sterilized BM bags (my favorite brand is Lansinoh – I’ve tried Medela and Gerber – both are shoddy).
Yes, I do feel like a milk-cow sometimes.
No, it hasn’t taken an inordinate amount of time to do this. I can multitask while pumping – read, use the laptop, etc.
Don’t think me to be completely altruistic here – I get a brand new double electric pump for being a donor! And I need it – my Lansinoh double electric is sloooooowwwing down. Very annoying.
I went through quite a process to get qualified – extensive questionnaire, donor DNA cheek swab, BLOOD DRAW, and physician authorization.
But it’s all worth it. Brian agrees – he’s glad to finally have our freezer space back.
My brother asked a good question when I told him about this (yeah, I told him – slightly awkward dinner table conversation perhaps). He wondered why they don’t just send formula powder. Easier to ship, less costly, etc.
Here are a few facts:
Babies who receive breastmilk have a greatly reduced risk of developing serious infections of the lungs, circulatory system, and urinary tract.
Breastmilk has more than 100,000 components including unique protective proteins, enzymes, and fatty acids. These cannot be replicated.
Breastfed babies have a reduced risk of SIDS, sepsis, necrotizing enterocolitis, diabetes, asthma, obesity, leukemia, and other forms of cancer.
And the best part – I receive an incredible feeling of satisfaction at the thought that I’m nursing needy babies by proxy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How fabulous and a great idea. Breastmilk is best and you are doing a great thing for those poor babies!

Unknown said...

That is really cool. I always wondered if there was a way to donate milk. I always had plenty. Next baby, I'll have to look into this donation process.

Mandy said...

I had no idea that breast milk donation was even possible. HOW COOL!! I don't think that I will ever be in a position to donate . . . but I will pass the info along!! Seriously, that is so cool!!! (Oh, and what did the FedEx guy think of you taking his picture?)

chelsea mckell said...

mandy - i don't think he realized I was taking his picture. but when I gave him the box, he asked what was in it and looked very uncomfortable when I told him.
:)

Chelsea and Cody said...

That is really awesome! It did sound strange at first, but as I read on I think it is great! I have a friend with a friend who cannot breastfeed her baby so my friend pumps for her. (Sorry, that probably didn't make sense). Anyway, go YOU!

Julie said...

Chels that rocks!! you did it!!! Maybe next time I will have to try that! :) I love great causes!!! I love that you told the fed ex dude what was it - be proud girl - be proud!!

The Moon's said...

Thats cool, I have a friend in Spokane who donates to banks in the states for those who can't breastfeed or whatever other reasons. I wish I could do that for ours, but don't think I can, who knows. Good work though, that is such a nice gesture!

Allison said...

Wow. I think that is so neat!! I'm glad you shared with us blogreaders.

Hetzlers said...

I am really glad you shared this because one of my sisters wanted her children to be breadfed so badly, that when both of her children couldn't she was very upset.

Both of her babies came down with such serious thrush (yeast infection in the mouth) at only a couple of months old, she had to stop nursing them because the yeast would just get passed back and forth between her breast and the children's mouth and body.

Doctors nor naturopaths tried to help, but nothing was working. So she found a breastmilk bank that she got BM from for her children. She just loved it and really was grateful.

My momma made sure we all knew how good BM was for babies.

*My momma always said that's why she had such smart kids!