Wednesday, January 7, 2009

11 months!

Brianna has been filling our days with joy for 11 months now.
Four-dimensional update:
PHYSICAL:
She is about 21 pounds and not as pudgy as she used to be. Her rolls are leaning out likely due to all the crawling. She frequently holds on to walls and furniture to "cruise" around the house. Brianna goes up and down the stairs with ease - we don't worry about tumbles anymore. She has "walked" a few times - just 5-6 steps in a row. It's Frankenstein-style, and fun to watch. Her hair is getting thicker, longer, and slightly curly. Sadly though, it's "business in front, party in the back" (ie, mullet). She waves hello and byebye to everyone and everything. Over and over again.

EMOTIONAL:
Can we say
separation anxiety?! It's like she has a radar for me. When I get to a certain distance away, her world crashes down. When I am chatting with someone and I begin to let her down as if to give her to them, she immediately clamps down on me with a death grip. Even her daddy gets treated as a second-class citizen if she's not in a playful mood. It's flattering that she loves me so much... but I'll be quite happy when she finally gets over it. Overall though she is a happy child and offers giggles and smiles frequently. She doesn't throw a tantrum when I take away "her" "toys" (eg, my cell phone, camera, dirty shoes...) Though she doesn't appreciate it when I close the doors she has worked so hard to open.

SPIRITUAL
Brianna feasts on the scriptures whenever she can get her hands and teeth on them.
Sometimes she sings (squawks) along during the hymns at church.
She hasn't quite mastered reciting the entire 1st Quorum of the Seventy. But perhaps if my dad offers her $10 to do it, she will. Worked for me!

MENTAL
Brianna tries to copy words we say (when she's in the mood. Like everything else). When I give her warm food, I say "HOT," and she says "aht" and tried to blow on it like I do. She still says DADDY occasionally, and we really believe she knows what that word means. On the other hand, she says MAMA all the time - to everything, anything, and nothing. So we'll have to work on that one.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Brianna is so lucky to have you and Brian and parents. She is adorable.
My daughter Melanie was attached to me at the hip until probably middle school!!! She finally got over it. One time I handed her over to her dad in church (when she was a toddler) and she screamed like crazy. After church, her dad said, "Everyone probably thinks I beat her."

Chelsea and Cody said...

She is so old! I can't believe it. It would be perfect if we did her pics in a month...ONE YEAR pics! Do you feel old? hehe!

Mandy said...

Wow, didn't you JUST do a post about her being 10 months? Wow, has it been a month already? Yikes!! She sounds like she is growing up quite nicely ;-) Did you really learn the names of the seventy for $10? That's awesome!! :-) It's amazing how motivating $10 can be to a kid!!

Amy Hunter said...

Oh man, it seems like yesterday I was bringing a gift over for your baby shower! I'm glad to hear she has a spiritual side. We often joke that Judson was supposed to be sent to a family who attends an evangelical church with rolling in the aisles and such. Poor kid. He suffers so. Maybe I should start offering money too! Whatever it takes, right?

Ashley said...

Wow, she is really growing up, that is great. She is such a cute little girl and it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun with her.

Becky and Brian said...

She is going to be 1 year soon! Time goes by so fast! I am glad she is developing so well!