Monday, January 4, 2010

Proof I have too much free time:

A 20-hour Smith Family Calendar project.
Created 8 copies from my computer and my printer and $95 worth of ink, paper, and binding supplies.
Every single family member is featured on every single month (so no one can complain about over- or under-representation).
Click to enlarge.
The quotes around the photos are selected from a previous family calendar quote project done by Meg and Steve in past years. They have everyone submit favorite scriptures, quotes, jokes, memories, etc and compile them into a "daily thought" flip-calendar.
The bottom half (I can't upload that on here because it's a Word document - anyone know if it's possible to upload Word docs onto a blog post?) is a regular monthly calendar format, with each family member's name on their birth date. No excuses to forget to call each other on that day!
The main thought going through my head during the 2 weeks I spent obsessively working on this project was, "THESE PEOPLE BETTER APPRECIATE THIS!"
Much thanks is owed to my patient, tolerant husband. He helped me deal with the several setbacks and mistakes I made that caused me so much weeping and gnashing.
His advice: "maybe next year you should start this project in August or September..."

11 comments:

Crystal and Jordan said...

looks awesome! what program did you use?

Megan Smith said...

hopefully you saw my note on FB, but if not, I just wanted to tell you how much I love the calendar this year! Each month is a lot of fun to look at--you did a great job. The kids have liked looking at the pages too (they can only look at it, I won't let them touch it). Thanks for all the work you put in to make it!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! It looks so time consuming too! I bet that your family loves it! If they don't, then you can become and honorary member of the Morris family! :)
As for the word document. I would just pdf it and then upload it as a picture.

Crystyne said...

Be thankful for that free time now! Having two makes a mom 10 times busier.

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Wow. Wow. That's amazing.

Malerie said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed! Can I hire you to do that for my family? ;)

Becky and Brian said...

Thanks for the calendar! You did a great job this year and all the pictures look great and the time you spent is appreciated!

Dan and Anne said...

Way to be creative! And you do not have too much free time... you're just way to productive! :) Sorry I didn't tell you about the baby earlier... we wanted to wait and tell our families in person over Christmas so it just had to wait!

DeAnne said...

you have a really cool family!

chelsea mckell said...

This was such a GIFT!

chelsea mckell said...

oh geez.... that last comment was from my mom. I wasn't commending myself, in case you were thinking that...
I need to teach her how to sign OUT of my name.