Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Home

I finally left home and arrived home.
I said goodbye to my family to return to my family.

Isn't it interesting how the definitions of the words
home and family change as we start our own? Brian and Brianna are my family. My home is in Cedar City. But last night, sitting by the fireplace playing boardgames with my dad, mom, and sister... it was very easy to feel like I was at home with my family.

I had a wonderful "vacation." I put that words in quotes because in my mind, a vacation needs to involve sand and sunshine and foreign language. But I didn't have to cook for 2 weeks, so this trip still can fall in the vacation category.

It's nice to be back in Cedar. I like feeling like I have control over my environment. At my parent's house, if I leave a dish by the sink, hours later it's gone and washed. If I leave dirty clothes near the washer, they're magically clean and dried within 24 hours. The gas tank of every vehicle I drive never seems to hit empty. It's horrible. I have no control whatsoever.

But now I'm home. If I don't start dinner, dinner doesn't happen. If I don't keep up with laundry, it multiplies and takes over the hallway. No one fills my refrigerator but me. The utility bill doesn't magically get paid.

Maybe I should change my definition of home and move back there.

5 comments:

DeAnne said...

sometimes it's nice to lose control, isn't it?

Amy Hunter said...

I have GOT to meet your parents and find my way into their hearts. Don't they need some grandsons??? I want in.

Sam and Melissa said...

Well said. It is always hard coming home and taking care of myself again after visiting my mom. I remember your mom spoiling us when she lived in Hawaii.

Ashley said...

I can relate to this, it is nice to not have to take care of everything when you are on a vacation. I am glad that you made it back from your trip, it looks like you had a fun time. It is good that you went before Brianna turns 2, then it will start getting expensive.

Ivy Lou said...

I love this post. It is funny what we think of as home. I have 2 kinds of homes, just like you. One where everyone is happy and someone else takes care of everything or most things - and one where everything is my job and Mitch isn't around mych so I really do have to do everything. Which got me thinking..maybe I should move HOME, too!

I am afraid thing just wouldn't be the same this time around, though.