Sunday, January 24, 2010

Animated Sabbath

With the new year and customary time change of our church services, we now attend from 11am-2pm. This doesn't work well for our usual 12-2 napper. So each Sunday has been a struggle. We try to get her to sleep in as much as possible, then keep morning activities really low-key and non-tiring so she can make it til 2 without the nap. This means movies.
But only one type, and Brianna knows that by now. So this was our conversation this morning:

Me: Good morning Brianna! Do you want to have breakfast then go watch a movie? Brianna: Yeah. Bambi movie. Me: No, today is Sunday... Brianna: NO JESUS MOVIE! NO! I WANT BAMBI! NO JESUS MOVIES!
But we put one on and she got into it enough to stop complaining. The weird thing is that during the week, she will ASK for a "Jesus movie," and I'll say no - just so it's like a treat on Sunday.
I should explain what exactly we refer to by "Jesus movie." It's the Animated Stories from the New Testament series. I used to watch these every Sunday as a kid - it was all we were allowed to watch (until 5pm. Don't ask me how my parents came up with 5pm being the end of Sunday). We had the whole animated Book of Mormon VHS series, the Old and New Testaments, and the "Heroes" series. I had them all memorized. So a little over 2 years ago, when Brian and I got a knock at the door and it was a cute little RM going door to door selling these DVDs... we were
suckers. I should say - I was the sucker. Brian didn't want them (or rather, didn't want to spend the hundreds of dollars) but he doesn't like awkward sales situations so didn't say anything. Actually, anytime a sales person comes to the door, he defers it to me, or tells them his wife isn't home so he can't make the decision. I'm his scapegoat. Anyways.... so being pregnant, I told myself it was for the benefit of our unborn child. And our unborn child needed the entire interactive DVD series, along with the coloring books. And I needed the "Women of the Scriptures" book on CD series that came with it. The Church History and Cleon Skousen DVDs were in the mix too. I had serious buyer's remorse the next day. But now I'm glad we have them.
On a separate but semi-related note... I finally finished my study of the Preach My Gospel book today. I had a goal to finish it in one year. That was two years ago.
I loved it. I don't know if I've ever done more effective scripture study. It made me look up cross references, take notes, focus on basic topics, and learn how to teach others. By "others" - I mean my own children. I substituted the words "your investigator" for "your children" and "missionary" for "parent." We were challenged to do this a couple years ago at a stake conference in our Provo ward. I think from
Elder Oaks. I didn't realize how long it would take me - sometimes one page would take a week (though I should mention that this is partially due to my ocassional 5 minute study sessions before crashing). Anyways.... just want to encourage anyone reading this to make sure you have a copy of this manual and use it. It's such an amazing resource. It made me appreciate what full-time missionaries do everyday. I never went on a mission (married at 20) and I'm not sure I could've handled it. But hopefully I'll get at least one little boy who can grow up and go spread the gospel to the world! And Brian and I will definitely do a couple's mission when we're older. In Laie. Or just the North Shore in general. We're flexible like that.
I feel like I'm rambling. That happens with too much Sabbath free time. I better go figure out what to do next for scripture study! Or just go watch another "Jesus movie."

4 comments:

Debbie said...

It was actually Dad that originated the 5PM rule. I never questioned it really - we have certainly had some fun analyzing it since (at his expense, so I guess its not okay to joke!). I was just wondering though - how about allowing Brianna to watch the "Jesus movies" 6 days a week and Bambi on Sunday! We really miss you and Brianna being here - Brian was cool too.

DeAnne said...

my word girl, you are killing me with this tiny font you are using. i am too lazy to look for my glasses to I don't have to squint the entire time i read your blog. i totally need some sunday movies for our kids. the best i have is the prince of egypt..pathetic!

chelsea mckell said...

so sorry DeAnne! If I didn't write such ridiculously long posts, I could keep the font large. But since I do write so much, I feel like one post takes up the entire page.... unless I keep the font small.

Solution: At the header/menu/bar thing (whatever it's called) on top of your comp, there should be the word "view." Just increase the view size. I do this all the time on certain websites that have small font.
Thank you for reading anyway, despite my quirks!

Ivy Lou said...

I love the Preach My gospel Manual. It is awesome. I have been studying it and it reminds of seminary. Fun!