Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy fish

We took Brianna swimming almost every day while visiting my parents. She loved it. I forgot her swimsuit, so mom got this yellow one for her. Though adorable, I'm actually quite opposed to allowing children to wear flotation devices. If she were to get into the water at a later date without the supportive gear strapped to her, she may think she can float better than she can. I really believe in teaching a child at the earliest age possible to be comfortable in the water, to love going all the way under, and to kick and paddle and sidebreath their way across unassisted. I saw too many children during my 9 years of swim teaching that were freaked out about getting water on their face or using a kickboard. I vowed - never my children. I'll throw them in before they can walk.
I wish we had a better pool here in Cedar - I miss my parent's pool and the Vernal Rec pool.
And there's my soapbox for the day.

4 comments:

Jules AF said...

I want to go swimming now, even though it's freezing and I'm sick. Sigh.

Debbie said...

This YMCA of our really is amazing for meeting everybody's swim needs. Brianna was sooo cute and your are right - too brave with that swim suit. I saw a little girl in one today that was a short sleeved, short legged, little light weight wetsuit - nice.

Lauren said...

I'm totally with you on the whole flotation device thing. Nothing wrong with wanting your children to be ok with water.

Sally Jackson said...

Yes!!!- we are taking your advice and cutting down on floaties!