Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A few answers

We had an appointment today with our OB. I'm not even sure why we had it. And we have another in two weeks. My doctor must think I'm high-maintenance. I'm ok with the extra attention though. It's amazingly comforting to hear those two little heartbeats going strong at 180 bpm. Almost makes me cry every time.
A few answers to your (my) vexing questions:
-These babes are fraternal twins (he's 99% sure). That means Brian's family genetics had nothing to do with it. I learned though that even if they are identical, his family history is irrelevant."Twinning is a maternal factor" as the doc said.
-Seven weeks until we find out the genders. I love saying genders. I love saying babies. I love saying anything refering to having two inside me. I might even start using double exclamation points even though they annoy me.
- Due date is August 19th. Technically. Doc said to plan on a late July baby. He said he delivers most twins around thirty six weeks. I'm hoping for August. Though I know I'll be slightly uncomfortable by that stage (an understatement perhaps?) I don't want 4 pounders. The longer they stay in, the bigger and healthier they'll be!
- I got in a little trouble because I've lost 6 pounds since my last visit. I didn't even realize it. Maybe that half marathon I did on Saturday had some effect. But it's probably more due to the fact that the majority of food items look repulsing. I spend a lot of time wandering around my kitchen, trying to think of something that sounds remotely palatable. Nada. But I told the doc not to worry - in a few months, I have no doubt he'll be telling me to sloooow down before I break his scale.
- It's ok to continue sleeping on my back until my belly is bigger (yay!)
- Stay away from unpasteurized foods (gee, that will be tough).
- Take extra folic acid supplements twice a day. Plus 2 prenatals. I feel like a pill popper.
- Drink more water
- Cut down mileage because my joints are loosening (I doubt I'll follow this. I only run about 25/wk. I'll keep it up til I feel uncomfortable. But I am going at a much slower pace - never higher than 8mph on the treadmill. It's annoyingly slow but relaxing).
- I'll have a scheduled c-section. I don't want this though - I'd rather go into labor naturally. It's better for the babies' respiratory system. Those labor hormones help them get ready to breath solo. So we'll see if I can negotiate this one. The other doctor at this clinic will also join in on the surgery, and the resident PA. Brian too. Cuz it'll be a big party and everyone's invited.
- Brian sat there silently the whole time. Finally at the end the doctor asked him how he was doing and if he was a little overwhelmed. He said, "no - I'm fine - I'm just trying to figure out when we should go buy a bigger vehicle."
:) Funny B.

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Chelsea,
I have been out of the picture for awhile on a trip and then sick, so this is why I have late congratulations to offer you and Brian. I am very excited for you. You have a perfect disposition (energetic, organized, calm, etc.) to have twins. Also, the fact that you are tall will help you get through the pregnancy easier.
I am WAY happy for this exciting event in your near future.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Amy Hunter said...

This is so fun to experience with you! My sister in law is 5 weeks away from delivering her 2 nd set of fraternal twins, which will make eight kids total for them! If you have questions for her i'd be happy to hook you up! Did you know that once you've had twins, your chances of conceiving twins again quadruples, or something like that?? Awesome.

Malerie said...

Very fun details! So exciting!

Julie said...

TWINS????!!!! Amazing! You McKells are always up to having some sort of crazy fun eh?! I swear every time I go on vacation and don't check blogs for a week something exciting always happens! CONGRATS B&C&B!!! WOOOOT!

Debbie said...

Okay, so a couple of things you need to know I'm trying to help out with - the NAMES! Meredith and I really like Chester - of course that reflects the direction you have already set yourself on. I had though Chelster, but Mere said no...Chester! So, another boy name and then, of course, have the girl names ready. We're on it, you just grow them - thanks for the info :)

Unknown said...

I hate when you need to eat and can't find anything appetizing at all. When I was pregnant with Addi, I couldn't even walk into the kitchen without puking! (Not looking forward to that in the future.)
Four pounders are not fun at all. I totally think you should go as long as possible. I think that bigger babies are better eaters too!

Anyway, that's my two cents! Very excited for you!!!

Allison said...

Yeah for good news and doctor visits. I'm a paranoid pregnant person so I loved having the checkups so i KNEW all was well. : ) I held my breath for every heartbeat while trying not to hold my breath. And your sunday movie post...very funny.

summer said...

I wish I was you...I wish I was you!! Then maybe I wouldn't use double-exclamation points all the time! :)

Actually, I still can't believe that you are having twins. I so wish one of my pregnancies had by chance been that - and yet I wouldn't change them. Does that make sense?

I suppose I'll go back to the adoption site and look at adopting twins....maybe my only hope of getting a set!

Megan Smith said...

Chester?? oh please say you're kidding.

Brian cracks me up. I think I might bag the whole family quote calendar idea and just turn it into a "Brian McKell quote calendar" instead.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Oh yes, 8mph is ANNOYINGLY SLOW.