Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hairy stories

For Meredith's birthday last week, she asked me for one present: to allow her to highlight my hair. She's been begging for years now. I finally gave in.
I know - kinda silly - what kind of person repeatedly turns down an offer for free professional highlights?! Me. The (former) owner of "virgin" hair. I just hate the thought of dealing with "roots" and having to pay gazillions and schedule lengthy appointments at smelly salons. Plus, after each summer I end up with natural highlights. Especially when I used to be outside all day long running and teaching swimming lessons. It felt so unnatural to have that foil junk in my hair and see her painting me with smelly goop. I did this just once before - about 11 years ago at a cosmetology school. The girl messed up and turned my highlights purple. I wanted to keep them but my mom made me let them fix it. Their "fixing" involved several strands chemically frying off. I swore off permanent/drastic hair changes after that traumatic event.
But Meredoo promised me these would be so subtle that I wouldn't have to keep them up.
She was right - I really like them. I guess I should post a photo of the results. But then I'd have to do some awkward glamour pose. I'll try to find a middle ground. Or just come see me in person. If you're ever in Spokane, hire Mere to do your hair. She's good.
But she also chopped off like 10 feet of hair. I feel bald. I told her 1-2 inches. She always laughs when I say that. She keeps threatening to cut Brianna's hair, to "even it out." But I think I've sufficiently scared her enough that she wouldn't dare (I told her I would then cut HER daughter's hair). I wish I knew what Brianna's hair would look like if it had never been cut. I don't want her to have bangs (too high-maintenance - I'm anti high-maintenance, if you didn't get that part), so we're going through an awkward stage where I'm letting them grow out and I have to pin them to the side. Or just let her look wild.
Speaking of hair... Brianna's latest quirk is that she kindof freaks out if she finds a hair somewhere. Like if she's in the tub and one gets stuck between fingers. Or she picks something up off the ground that has a hair attached. Or in her food (understandable). She starts yelling, "MOMMY - a 'AIR! 'AIR! Git OFF!" So interesting how kids learn/decide that one thing or another is undesirable and worthy of flipping out about.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Cool! I totally want to see a picture. My reaction to random hair is the same as Brianna's....ok, not really but I can relate. And my hair is EVERYWHERE. I think I'm going bald. Oh well....low maintenance, right?

DeAnne said...

OOOOO, I wanna see a picture!

Becky and Brian said...

Meredith is great at doing hair. You need to post a picture.

Unknown said...

I am excited to see a picture!

the Gardners said...

Let's do plan on Wednesday. I have to drop D off at school but will come straight over after that! So 8:30 ish

Megan Smith said...

Yes! Post a picture!! I want to see it!