Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Freddy the non-sicko thinks I'm not careful enough.

After posting those videos from Brianna's birthday (see two posts below) on youtube, I received this message (not anonymously, but I don't recognize the username):

freddytk421 has sent you a message:
Subj: your videos.
You should be careful what videos you upload. There are lots of crazies out there. I was searching
the word Brianna and saw your bathtub video on the list. I'm not a sicko or anything just wanting to give you some friendly advice. you can make them private if you want to share them with your family and friends.


What do you think about this? I'm not the type of person to be subject to extreme paranoia or inane fears. I'm not worried about someone "finding" us or doing anything bizarre with my videos and pictures. There are millions (billions?) of videos and child photos on the www. I know I can make my videos private. I can make my blog private. I can put a mask on my child when we're out in public and call my family members by pseudo-names and squirt hand sanitizer on every surface we have to touch.
I believe in safety first - wearing seatbelts, getting immunizations, buying insurance, and locking doors.
But do I really need to curb my photo/video sharing?!
It's exasperating to keep hearing vague warnings like "well, you just can't be too careful when it comes to kids" or "well this guy I knew had a friend who heard about a story where some weirdo..." Right. Pretty sure that's about as likely to really happen as my child getting Salmonella from peanut butter.
WHAT exactly - EXACTLY - are Freddy-type people worried about?!

10 comments:

Jordan said...

interesting....I think I might be freaked out by it. But i think you could beat a weirdo or a crazy person up

Jules AF said...

Odd. I've never worried too much about people getting all molesterish about children's pictures. I'm anonymous, but not by choice. Meh.

DeAnne said...

I think that it is weird of that guy to post that. I get the same kind of comments -mostly from my mother in law. She won't even do online banking though. (can you say par-a-noid?) In the past I have put a pic or two that showed Kate's bum. In general, I feel the same way you do. I got a laugh out the part where you said you could put a mask on your child when you are out in public. I think it's good to be cautious, but not to go overboard. I'm sure you use good judgment.

Malerie said...

I used to have a pregnancy video up on YouTube- just one directed at my family, giving them updates and showing the baby kicking, etc. Months later I looked at it again and it had 15,000 views! Matt thinks there could definitely be some sickos that are obsessed with pregnant women. Ew. Gross! I'm not that worried about posting stuff but I did delete it right away!!!

Megan Smith said...

I once happened upon a blog where someone had posted up their new address since they'de just moved (not private) PLUS the fact that they were going to be out of town for a month or so (after they moved in!) & so I left them a note of caution. Maybe they thought I was weird there.

As far as the web goes, here in the private life I just feel safer, but I get what you mean. I sleep better w/ private. I don't like strangers knowing so much about my family besides all the other stuff.

Immunizations safe? The jury is still out on that. Check back in 20 years to find out the results.

Megan Smith said...

post note before you ask. Yes, I've immunized all my kids. No, I don't trust that it's 100% safe. The end.

The Morrells said...

I don't worry about it too much either. I just don't think people would find my life interesting enough to start stocking us or do anything too crazy. I posted a video on youtube last summer and it was of the kids running around outside catching some bugs. I had somebody leave me the same type of comment, only they were quite rude about it. They basically said, I shouldn't post videos of my kids because of all the crazies out there and then went on to say what a bad Mom I was, and then told me that from the video, he (I think it was a he??) could tell my kids were terrible kids and obviously not disciplined (what? for playing outside and being excited about catching some bugs? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OegE9AeXEkE that is the link to the video just for a laugh about all that he said judging by this one video!) I was just like whatever and what a jerk! I deleted the comment. I think he was meaning to warn me about weirdos such as himself! lol!

Unknown said...

He is definately the weirdo. He saw Brianna and bathtub and thought he would take a look? That is kind of freak-ish!

summer said...

for as social as I am - I'm also rather private...for my family I like to know the target audience I'm addressing. Trust me, sometimes I wish I went more private...like keeping out some family! I feel more comfortable sharing things I do, as there are weirdos everywhere, and I am seeing more of them in this city than I have ever seen in my life! :) I don't know that someone would truly ever use my info/pictures in a way that would cause me serious need to find them and hurt them...however, I also just don't want to tempt it. I'd rather prevent something than solve a problem if it actually happened.

In the end do what you are most comfortable with. And as with vaccines - look at both sides and then make your informed choice...sometimes the issue of safety isn't easily seen :)

p.s. are you going to find out the genders of your babies...and if so when is that big day?! I'm trying to remember if you found out with Brianna. I think you did, right?

Debbie said...

How did you know his name was Freddy?