Thursday, February 4, 2010

Daddy-daughter troubles

Lately Brianna has been a little anti-Daddy. It's sad because it hurts Brian's feelings, as he is very pro-Brianna.
She will yell at him and push him away, saying things like "NO daddy!" "MY mommy!" "Daddy go back!" "Mommy do bath - no daddy!"
The weirdest part is... during the day while he's not home, she asks for him at least once an hour. Most often she says, "where Daddy?" And I'll tell her he's at work. Then she'll usually say, "I go see Daddy work. Go to office." and head for the door. It's hard because Brian is super busy when he's at his office - even if I brought her there to see him, he'd be too busy with customers and phone calls and car cleaning and report deadlines. Just today, Brianna answered her own question. She said, "where's Daddy? Daddy working."
Then when he comes home at night, she sprints to the door to greet him... then runs right back to me and glares his direction.
He gets frustrated because he wants to give me a little break from her, and he wants to have some QT. But how can you play with someone who screams at you at swats at your eyeballs?
The eyeball-swatting thing... I think we've curbed it. Just this morning we brought her into our bed since she woke up too early (7:05. That's early. I prefer at least 7:20. Every minute counts) and instead of swatting at Brian, she reached up for his hair and started patting it, saying "nice daddy, nice" as we've been trying to teach her to do.
Brian says she does way better when they're alone together without me, like Tuesday nights when I go to the gym to watch Biggest Loser while elliptisizing. He did dinner, bathtime, and bedtime with her, no problems at all. So maybe I just need to leave every night?!
Hopefully soon she'll switch favorites. I promise I won't be the least bit offended.
I'd love for someone to tell me their child does something like this too.

9 comments:

DCRomney 2010 said...

Rio totally does this. Sometimes he's such a stinker to Dave. If I'm around he always wants me to get his food for him or take him to bed or whatever. But like you said, if I'm gone, he's totally cool with Dad. Very frustrating, I feel so bad for Dave cuz he tries really hard to be a wonderful, fun, loving dad.

Unknown said...

We have the opposite with Addison. When her daddy is around, she will have NOTHING to do with me! The other night, they were laying in Addi's bed and I came in to have prayer and giver her a kiss and she hit me and told me to go away. Everything is daddy, daddy, daddy! Kind of hurts my feelings because I am always the one taking care of her, but yet when he comes home he is the good time guy and I have to be the bad guy. (Tangent, sorry!)

Jules AF said...

How sad! I hope she gets over this soon!

Jordan and Crystal said...

Is she about to hit the BOM?

Chelsea and Cody said...

That was highly entertaining...thanks.

chelsea mckell said...

Crystal - first of all, Brianna IS the BOM (Brianna Oneita McKell!)
=)
I was hoping no one would notice that part, because it just makes this post even more sad! Yeah, Brian was trying to lure her in with the Book of Mormon... song. She loves the primary song "Book of Mormon Stories." So he was offering to sing it to her while showing the book. I thought it was pretty creative, but it totally didn't work. She hit him and the book and said, "NO Daddy Book a'Mowmon!"

Jen - amazing how different they are! If only we could combine a little of each and we'd have a happy middle ground!

Becca Jane said...

Hey, I stumbled over here from Seriously So Blessed (love her!)....anyway, congrats on your twins! So exciting!

Kara said...

My kids are being the same way right now as dad is working long tax hours. Its fine if he wants to wrestle but they always come to me to get anything for them, or read, or make food, or want to be held for a while. Although my son definitely knows dad is a big push-over for his love right now because he's the only one he'll ask for ice cream from. I'm sure she'll work through it. I've also stopped trying to take them to visit dad at the office, its more of a hassle to both of them.

Ashley said...

I can relate..sometimes Alli says that John is scary and mean.