Sunday, February 14, 2010

We got our Valentine ON

I'm actually not the biggest fan of Valentine's Day. Pretty sure it was invented as a conspiracy between some jewelry-chocolate-flowers companies. But I'm also not the biggest fan of holiday-scrooge-poopyheadedness, so I did my part in sharing the love:
I'm the official holiday treat supplier for Brian's office. Unfortunately, I don't think he understands these are supposed to be for the CUSTOMERS...
I hope they at least saw the cute signs and felt loved/appreciated, despite the fact that the cookies were likely gone within a couple days.Brian and Brianna got heart-shaped pancakes with strawberries and heart-shaped crepes for breakfast. Excuse Brianna's shirtlessness. She has an issue with wearing clothing lately. I did manage to get her into a cute Valentine dress for church. And I got Brian to wear his pink tie. I was festively attired as well. Thus we were more righteous and wholesome than the rest of the congregation because of our extreme outward participation in this completely non-religious holiday. All our windows featured festive stickers/clings (got them on clearance in March last year for a quarter. i RoCk).Brian and I did small gifts to each other - I made him this 8x10 photo collage (Walgreens was doing a freebie on the 13th only with a special code I received from my sources) and he made me a sweet card with sappy stuff written inside. Not because he wanted to. He was almost begging to head to the jewelry/flower/chocolate conspirators and give in to the mass marketing messages that plague our society, but I reminded him of MY love language. It involves no spending of money whatsoever. I love my cards I coerce him into writing for me every year.
Brian informed me that he might just die if we didn't decorate sugar cookies and bring them to our neighbors. I informed him I would loooove to, but we lacked the ingredients to participate in such a needlessly time-consuming messy ritual. But he found a recipe for whole wheat sugar cookies, (click here) and went next door to borrow butter. Thus I was stuck. And I learned I was wrong... it was actually a lot of fun. Brianna loved doing the decorating and didn't try to stuff them all her in face like I thought she would. Brian on the other hand.... I had to remind him that these were for the neighbors, as HE had planned. And for his employees at work the next day. So we made up some uncharacteristically (for me) cute plates and spent a couple hours visiting neighbors (bottom right photo - neighbor Debra, from Alabama - kept us chatting forevvvver. Husband Tom gave details of his post-heart-attack stent put in through his groin). One neighbor was a single older lady who had just returned the day before from major surgery - and we didn't even know it! So we felt really good about that visit.
Warm Valentine fuzzies.

10 comments:

DeAnne said...

Good job! I bet life at your house is never lacking....in anything.

the Gardners said...

lol!!! Definitely more righteous at church and maybe even more so for bringing us cookies, too!

Julie said...

soo fun and cute!! I love your ideas - working to be more like you!

Unknown said...

It would be you to find the whole wheat flour sugar cookies. And I will bet that they tasted awesome too!
I love having little helpers in the kitchen. I am surprised that your little one didn't eat more. Addison wouldn't stop saying "more, more, more" when we were making them.

summer said...

I usually don't go for sugar cooking making either....so much work! However, it is fun to see the kiddos enjoying it - and can I say...kudos to you and loves to you for sharing a WW sugar cookie recipe! Seriously, you are awesome.

! I laughed out loud at your more righteous comment on matching. I caught myself this last Sunday regretting that we weren't more color-coordinated...I know, I know. Silly! However it's the ultimate planner and Type A in me...sometimes is just spins out of control. I'll have to remember you in such situations, so that I won't take myself too seriously :)

Crystyne said...

Don't foget Halmark and other card companies in that conspriacy.

Debbie said...

I like V day

chelsea mckell said...

DeAnne - on the contrary. My house is frequently lacking in many things. Right now it's TV service and chocolate. I'm craving both.

Julie - how odd... I often think the same thing about YOU!

Crystyne - veryvery true.

Sally Jackson said...

You are the photo collage queen!

Tommy & Britt Schlosser said...

It totally looks like Brianna is busting a move in the pic where her and Brian are eating pancakes!