Sunday, February 21, 2010

Alllllllllllll beder

That's how Brianna says it. And she is - it's a lovely little miracle. She slept for 15 hours yesterday (no joke - 15 - I checked on her several times to confirm breathing) and woke up as happy and energetic as ever. All symptoms gone. So I'm not even going to make her take the amoxicillan we got for her (since that involves an extremely unpleasant force-feed anyway - unpleasant and pointless, since she's learned to gargle it up). And I'm feeling much better after a full night's sleep. I actually feel a little guilty and embarrassed for whining so much last night. But a big thank you to everyone who validated my woes!!
On to happier topics:
Brian and I got a night out last week.
Posted by PicasaIf you notice my eyes look freaky here, blame Picasa's red-eye corrector.
We were at SUU's Women's Athletics Fundraiser Banquet. Brian needed to go for business purposes, since various SUU departments rent vehicles from him often. I felt a little odd being at a women's athletics banquet that didn't feature me at all. I know that sounds snotty, but over the collegiate years I sat through manymany such events. Fancy schmancy catered meal, cheesy highlight video set to pop music, boring speeches, self-congratulatory attitudes, ridiculous contrived awards presented... I remember thinking that I'd rather endure a 10 mile tempo run in the snow than an ostentatious banquet. But I did enjoy the silent and live auction!
I like bidding. There's a competitive aspect to it. It's a good thing I don't believe in gambling - I can get a little impulsive. Like when I saw this painting and was pretty sure I'd die if I didn't win it. I guess we'll never know, because I DID win it! No one bid higher (perhaps partly due to me sliding the bidding sheet partially out of view....) We also were the highest bidders on couple other small items. We got great deals on everything. But as you can see from Brian's expression, he wasn't having half the fun I was. Though by the end it was me curbing his enthusiasm during the live auction high-ticket items.
A few people asked to see a picture of my hair after Meredith highlighted it for me last month. This shows what she did - just subtle thin streaks. Sparse enough that I won't have to run to the salon whenever there's half an inch of root showing. Because just the idea of paying someone to rub damaging chemicals in aluminum foils on my scalp makes me gag.

Big thankyou to the G family for taking care of Brianna while I got to go out and pretend to be more than a SAHM for a night!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Your hair looks very pretty. Glad you got some sleep. Is that a picture of a highway?
I love pictures of HIGHWAYS too.

Natalia said...

looks like fun, and i'm the same way. it is a good thing i don't gamble bc i'd be in BIG trouble living in vegas

Malerie said...

That picture of you and Brian is very cute. Glad you got a night out. And I love your hair. Good job Meredith ;)

Crystyne said...

Random comment here....
Every time Cooper (my 2 1/2 yr old) sees a picture of Brian he points to him and says "Daddy!". Not sure why he does that, but it is literaly EVERY time!...Oh wait....maybe it's the glasses.... Jeff got glasses for the first time recently. Maybe. Anyway it's a good thing Cooper's never seen him in person. Calling someone other than his daddy, daddy, in public, around lots of people who know Brian shouldn't be his daddy wouldn't be weird now would it?

Melissa said...

Way to go on the bidding! Cool painting! Your hair looks really pretty! :)

Unknown said...

Yay for sleep! Hey is there a special recipe for that hot lemon water? I have organic lemons and we are all sicky here. Glenn is on a liquid diet until he gets better and is sick of the few options he has.

Marilyn said...

You and Brian are a handsome couple. I can't tell that you are pregnant in the photo. I am glad you are all better.

Julie said...

what a great looking couple! :)

Brian Smith said...

You make fun of those events, but a lot of people put in a lot of hard work to make those events successful, and those being spotlighted really worked hard to achieve their successes. A litle more gratutude instead of all the attitude!