Tuesday, February 23, 2010

mmm... toothpaste

Posted by Picasa
We're still having dental hygiene issues. She rarely lets me brush for her; she insists "I do it by self!!" Her version of "brushing" is not much more than sucking on the toothpaste then begging, "more peh-paste peez!" I've read several articles about toddler tooth care which have just made me paranoid that we're going to deal with painful dental caries, especially since she still uses sippy cups much more often than regular cups. Also, family history isn't on her side - Brian and I both had cavities as kids. I think I probably had 4 or 5, and he had at least twice that many. But we both consumed WAY more sugar/junk food than Brianna gets. When I think back on what I ate as a kid - and hear about what Brian ate - I'm amazed we've survived into adulthood. Crap like Captain Cavity cereals every single morning. So I guess I'll just give her a celery stick to chomp on before bedtime and hope that makes up for her lack of actual brushing. Or maybe I could bribe her to let me brush her teeth... I'll offer her some taffy or tootsie rolls.
:)

4 comments:

DeAnne said...

Has she been to the dentist yet? What do they say about her teeth? Have you thought about pinning her down on the ground, forcing her mouth open and scrubbing like crazy??? I'm kidding, of course. Just give her lots of cleansing foods, like the celery. She'll be ok. When she gets a little older you can start telling her scary stories about what will happen to her teeth if she doesn't brush (this is what I have done with Katelyn. Nice, I know). But now Kate is motivated by the free ice cream cone coupon she gets from the dentist with each cavity free check up. Woo hoo! I sometimes use that as bribery. But, we still struggle with her wanting to brush her teeth too. Little turkeys!

Unknown said...

Addi brushes her own teeth, but refuses to use toothpaste. I think that they are okay...for now. When they actually get there adult teeth is when I think we should start to worry! :)

Sam and Melissa said...

I have a good idea, pour some sugar in her toothbrush before she brushes. My guess is she will love brushing :)

Jenna Burningham, OTR/L said...

I must admit...Im a pin down and brush mama (legs are great for holding arms down so you have two hands to open mouth and brush). We have no cavities at this house. I know it seems mean. But whats worse holding her down to brush her teeth(which it painless, and the oral/sensory experience is great for her-less chewed on pencils, texture food issues) for a few weeks until she gets it or holding her down while they drill her teeth. Tell her who's boss....

Maybe I am just a big meanie but they screamed and gagged but then they learned and now easy breezy!

If all else fails lots of water and only water in the sippy cup. Make sure they wash and juice or anything down with a sip of water! Good luck! (please remember I am an OT not a dentist!)hehe