Saturday, February 13, 2010

New ride

It's not stylish, sexy, nor extremely fuel efficient... but it's reliable, comfortable, and practical!
We have entered minivan world. A friend told me, "welcome to the next 20 years of your life."
Brianna was probably the most excited about it - as you can see from her first meeting with the newest member of our family. We've named her Kia Sedona. So creative, I know.Brianna went squirrel-crazy inside. She kept climbing over everything and jumping around, smiling and squealing. I had to wrestle her into her car seat.... which is SO MUCH EASIER now that it's higher up! I will NOT miss having to duck into our little Honda into the middle row to get her buckled. But I did feel safer having her in the middle verses now having her on the side. Oh well. I guess she'll have to sit in the back when we have the babies, so they can be up front. Or have one baby in the back middle, since that's the safest spot. But how would we choose which baby? Whichever one is behaving better gets the safer carseat location?
Notice bottom right photo - Brian folding the back seat down completely. Yeah, we could fit a room full of boxes in this mommyvan. Life just got awesomer.
We bought it from Enterprise and got a pretty good deal. A little below the "blue book" price. It was nice knowing it would be in perfect mechanical order and has been well maintained. This vehicle was actually in Brian's fleet for a long time here in Cedar - so he knows for sure that it always got routine maintenance done on time and never had any smokers or pets in it. There are some "bells and whistles" features I'm really enjoying. In fact, I can't think of any features it didn't include. A few people raise their brows at the brand Kia, but from everything I've read, the Koreans have come a long way in car manufacturing. This model had the highest safety ratings for 2008.
The hardest part about this transition was saying goodbye to our Honda. Not for sentimental reasons - I don't believe in developing emotional attachments to pieces of metal - but just cleaning it out.

It took a really long time to get it decent enough that we weren't too embarrassed to trade it in. It's amazing how much stuff we can collect in a vehicle after 6 years of use together. 8 for Brian, actually. It's the car he drove all the way from SLC to Phoenix in while we were dating so he could take me back to Utah and try to convince me that the state had a little more to it than just jello and modest clothing stores. I wasn't convinced and did another semester in Hawaii. But that Honda picked me up at the airport when I finally gave in and joined him in the beehive state.
We traded it in at 175,000 miles but probably could've put another 100K on it. I was very happy to get blue book value. I'll miss the fuel efficiency - but there's just no way we could've fit 3 kiddos in the back. And I hated having to try and fit our skis in there. So - adios Honda. I'm glad we get to remain a one-car family.

ps - if anyone is interested in buying a car from Enterprise, let Brian refer you. He gets a little bonus.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I can't wait to enter the minivan world! Just for the ROOM!!! It will probably be a couple more pregnancies for us though, before that purchase is dealed and sealed.

Unknown said...

Ohh a minivan! You really are adults now! We are going to try and buy a car from a rental company this summer when we sell France's Honda, its a stick shift and I don't want to put in the time it takes to be proficient with one. Its lame to have two cars when I can only drive one of them!!!

DeAnne said...

yay! I am really glad to hear that you got a KIA Sedona. Just the other day a friend here was talking about how they are getting a honda odyssey. EVERYbody has one of those. I jokingly said that when I enter the minivan world I am going to get something really sweet like a KIA. So, you like it? How do the prices compare to other vans like the Honda and such???? We probably really need a minivan, but we love our way non-fuel efficient JEEP.

Unknown said...

I can't believe that you are going from a little honda to a minivan, but I am still kind of in denial about the twins thing too!
I love having a bigger car. It seems to make me feel safer. {Not that it makes me drive any better, because it doesn't!}
I also like having a kid in the middle seat. I like knowing that is the safest seat in the house. But like Brianna, that is going to have to change soon here too!

summer said...

yeah for you! I remember when we got our mini-van...Madeleine was probably about Brianna's age...we weren't even expecting #2, but we were so tired of getting her in and out of the backseat of the little sports car that Bryson had brought into the marriage. I loved that mini-van...actually I still love it and of all the things I look forward to on my trips back to SL, at the top will be to drive again and have the room again. Enjoy it - ski trips, babies, family vacations, mommy day trips....you are going to love that van more than you probably know!

Debbie said...

I think you will have a hard time finding your car in the church parking lot!

Unknown said...

I heart my minivan and really really love not bending over to buckle the kiddos. Congrats!