Saturday, February 28, 2009

He ate asparagus!

Only those who KNOW Brian will understand how momentous this is.

My husband - as wonderful as he is - has a strong aversion to vegetables. And all nuts. And most fruit. And beans. Jam, peanut butter, milk, bologna, pork chops, cottage cheese, mustard, mayo, cream cheese, granola, raisins, any/all seafood, string cheese.... that's all he could identify off the top of his head (he dictated that list). He’s President of the Picky Eaters. At least he was 3.5 years ago when I married him.
So... we haven't made it a big deal in our marriage. Food is such trivial, temporal thing - it's not worth arguing over. Choose your battles, as my mom says.
But… I do want him to live past age 60 and stay out of hospitals as much as possible.
So I haven’t surrendered! I just "subtly encourage" - which Brian calls "being sneaky." I'm a big fan of Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" and I regularly integrate those tactics into anything I make. But I strongly believe in the higher principle of actually knowing what is going in your mouth and being open minded about it.
I have to use the right tactics. I've learned that I can't ASK Brian to try new things. He'll politely say NO. I've also learned not to bug him in public. So that only leaves room for home experimentation. I must wait for the right moment... when he is very hungry, feeling amiable, and not rushed.
So Brian came home from work one day last week and I had dinner all ready. Steak fillets, seasoned brown rice, and.... grilled asparagus. I just made up the plates, and we sat down. He looked at me and said, "Chelsea, what is this green thing doing on my plate?" I replied casually, "the same thing the brown things are doing."
Eating resumed. I struggled to contain my elation when Brian tentatively bit into into the asparagus…then unflinchingly ate all 6 sticks. I didn’t even say anything as I went to grab the camera. He laughed as I took these photos – which is another big step for him – he typically doesn’t like me to “think I won.”
But… I DID! And so did he. Win-win.
Next on the menu: squash. Wish me luck.


6 comments:

Julie said...

holy moly - I didn't know he didn't like all those things!! although I DID know he didn't like veggies!!! Kudos on the asparagus!!

Debbie said...

Here is a funny - grandson Cougar, age 4, was visiting last week. He had fun helping me make cookies - they were pretty "tweaked" with the healthy substitutions. When sampling time came, he willingly bit in and said, "nonny, these cookies taste really strange"! So he took his cookie to his Papa. BTW - these cookies are my favorite - I bake them and can't stay away from them - no sugar, butter, or "bad" stuff of any kind! I use Yakon Syrup - have you heard of Yakon Syrup? Bet you didn't even know you could get syrup from Yaks!

Debbie said...

Another BTW - Luck? Ha - no luck to it - just deceit with good intentions!

Unknown said...

I almost fell over when you said that Brian didn't like Cream Cheese or Mayo! I couldn't live without either of those!
I love vegetables, but I really love grilled vegetables! Try grilling your squash, even he may like those!

Chelsea and Cody said...

I have to argue. Cody is definitely the president...maybe your hubby is the vice pres.

Mandy said...

Gosh, I guess I am not as picky of an eater as I thought I was! :) Yay!! Grilled veggies ARE the best!! Congrats on getting your hubby to try new things! :) Andy wishes that he could get me to do that!! I am with Brian on ALL seafood . . . YUCK!! But no peanut butter? Jam? Has he had home made freezer jam? Oh it's so yummy! Wow, I am feeling pretty good that I only have a few things on that list that I don't eat! :)