Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Visiting Grandpa Berrett (you gotta read the ending)

We paid a visit to Brian’s mom’s dad in Provo last Saturday. He was kind enough to agree to babysit Brianna for us that night so we could go to the Valentine’s dance. But since Brianna would be asleep the entire time he was “babysitting” her (8-10pm), we wanted him to have some actual Brianna-time.
I remember back when Brian and I were dating and I went to visit him for the first time in Utah. We did a little relatives-tour where I was taken to home after home of his extended family (almost all of them live in the same county – seemed very odd to me, but I’ve realized it’s not atypical for Utahns). The stark contrast between Brian’s two Grandparents was incredible – Grandpa McKell has a fairly simple, bare-walled home, and Grandpa Berrett has more STUFF in one house than I’ve seen in any other. Ever. Grandpa McKell lives on twinkies, white bread and red meat, while Grandpa Berrett professes zealous health consciousness. He’s also not shy about asserting his stance on nutrition or calling others out on their lack of discretion, while Grandpa McKell has said many times that he doesn’t want to seem too “preachy” about anything (usually referring to the financial advice he proffers). Both lost their wives last year and seem to profoundly miss them, yet continue living productive lives in high spirits. I feel so blessed to have them both in my life, especially since I lost my own grandpa several years ago (my dad’s dad – my mom’s dad I never met).
Anyways – back to the visit:
When Grandpa answered the door for us he yelled to the back room, “Marjorie, we have company!” He laughed… but I found that kindof sad and awkward.

Brianna quickly made herself at home, ignoring the toys placed before her and going after every breakable item within reach. I think that made Grandpa anxious.
Whenever we come visit, Grandpa asks me to play the piano (which is odd, since he plays quite well himself). Of course, Brianna couldn’t let me play alone.
While we were chatting, the following conversation took place:

Me: “So Grandpa, tell us about your cruise to New Zealand last week – how was it?”
Gpa: “So amazing! I took 600 pictures. I need to go to Costco to get them developed.”
Me: “What was your favorite part?”
Gpa: “Ohh – this nice 82 year old lady gave me a hug and a kiss. Whoo-hoo – all those old feelings came back – it was great!”
Me (laughing): “Oh really! That’s pretty funny.”
Gpa: “Yeah, she told me at first that she was only 80. But then I found out she was actually 82.
And she has MONEY too!
There were actually LOTS of older women that hugged me on the ship.”
Me (still laughing – taking out pen and paper): “Grandpa, I’m not surprised at all.”
Gpa: “What are you doing? Are you writing down what I’m saying?”
Me: “Yep. I’m going to blog it. You’re funny.”
Gpa: “I’ve heard of that blog thing. Don’t know what it is. But I can say lotsa more funny things for your bloggings.”

Anyone think I should take him up on the offer?

11 comments:

Marilyn said...

This is a funny blog! It is true that my life with Dad has always included Twinkies.
Grandpa Berrett is still pretty handsome for his age.

Trevor Holms Petersen said...

HAHA, your grandpa is a pimp!

Malerie said...

SO Hilarious. Grandpas never cease to amaze me!

Amy Hunter said...

He seems like a keeper! I love how relaxed Brian looks in his home. That means a lot to me because my grandparents were so formal. It was very annoying. I also love how all the people of that generation seem to have the same couch and the same bust on their piano. I swear his house is a carbon copy of Eric's grandmas (minus the fax machine)! It looks like he might not be available to babysit next Valentines day if he keeps going on the Love boat!

mmm... said...

that is way funny. sounds like a great guy to hang out with. yes, definitely take him up on the offer! :)

Ashley said...

I definitely think that you should take him up on the offer, but maybe just put Grandpa B. on the post, just kidding, I think he would love it. I know that Grandpa McKell is always thrilled when I tell him that he has been spotted on one of the blogs. I am so glad that you were able to visit Grandpa and I think it is funny about the women on the ship.

Unknown said...

That's cute! I think you should totally take him up on his offer. I love old men and funny old men are even better!

Unknown said...

Very funny, I think it's great that you have him so close and he sounds like a lot of fun.

Debbie said...

So here is the reality - we write down the cute things the little people say - and should not miss what the "bigger" people say. Bigger not in size - just in life! I have "things to say" - call me!

BBS said...

Love your darling blog Chelsea. You are so good at it. Brooke told me about the sighting of "DAB" and I enjoyed it so much.
I absolutely love your photo at the start of your blog.
Love from BBS

Mandy said...

So cute! I would totally take him up on the offer! :)