Monday, February 23, 2009

MY ward

The saddest part of moving has been, for me, leaving my ward. It's the first time since good ol' Greenbluff ward in WA that I have been in the same ward for more than a few months. Lakeside 1st ward has been home for almost 3 years, and I've absolutely loved it. It's a ward with a great mix - newlyweds, singles, young families, old families, elderly...This picture is from Valentine's Day night at the dance (I'm really proud of myself - I instigated this group photo. It was supposed to be for couples only. I got the MC to corral the 1st warders for the photo op).
Seriously, this photo makes me smile. Not just because Brian and I are barely poking our heads out from the back (tall people always get stuck in that row), but because I consider each and every person in this photo a friend. We've had a connection in some way - neighbors, visit teaching, home teaching, callings.... (gotta love how busy our church keeps us). Brother Hundley on the right is one of the sweetest elderly men you'll ever meet - he always shakes Brian's hand at church and tells him "you better be nice to your pretty little wife there." The Nakata's in the middle are our home and visiting teachers, as well as our neighbors. They've had us over for dinner, and fixed our thermostat. I've learned so much from Maria Nakata - she's been an unlikely friend. Catherine is sticking her head up from the back row next to Brian - she's an amazing lady - a master seamstress and an against-all-odds convert. She's single, and before the pic said, "I guess I'm the odd one here" meaning since she didn't have a date - and I told her, "Catherine, even if you were married, you'd be the odd one here!" The Smith's in the back row are having their FIFTH GIRL in a few months. Sam Smith found out my maiden name and said to me, "I could tell you were one of the chosen." Bishop and his wife (lady in red, front row) were unofficially voted Valentine King and Queen of the dance. They have 6 kids and are some of the most optimistic people I've met. The Hunters (green shirt in the middle) - well, I've posted about them before. We're about as tight as tight gets - ward friends, babysit swapping, blog friends... I'm hoping Brianna gets to marry one of their 3 cute sons. The Hadleys (front row, blue shirt) are runners too. 'Nuf said there. The Clarks (front row, blackandwhite) have a son that made every wolf scout den meeting so entertaining for us.
Ok, I'll stop now. I could go on, obviously. I really feel like this is my ward family. Vernal has big shoes to fill.
Here's our couple pic from the dance:
It's neck-up only cuz I've fallen off the wagon in the past few weeks...like ten lbs off... but I'm workin' on it. Kindof. Fine, I'm not. I'll start tomorrow.

6 comments:

DCRomney said...

You've beat me by 2 lbs!!! :) Its the cold hibernation weather, I tell ya :) I did run (with some struggle) 6.5 miles today, though! That's a start, right?! :)

Debbie said...

You look very pretty in red.

Amy Hunter said...

Oh, I love you. That was so fun to read and I feel the same way about everyone in that picture too. By the way, we are jewish (Eric is from the tribe of Judah) and we believe in pre-arranged marriages, you know. Which one do you want? Thank goodness I can keep track of my future daughter-in-law through your fabulous, hilarious blog.

Melese & Kyle said...

So I just have to say that I LOVE that picture you have at the top. The one of all of you looking in the mirror, and I hope you don't mind but I'm totally going to steal that idea for one of my next photo shoots :)

chelsea mckell said...

Chris - I agree. I've definitely been hibernating. Bring on SPRING!

Mom - thank you :) But you can leave sassy comments again. That was more interesting.

Amy - Brianna is happy to have any of them. She requests that whomever she gets comes with the dog.

Melese - I'm not surprised you liked it. I welcome you to use it, and improve on it - I bet you'd do fun stuff with mirrors. Next time we need family pics - can I hire you?

Tia Langston said...

I agree with you about it being sad leaving your ward. We are going through the same thing right now. We've been here two years (the longest we've been anywhere since being married)....so we're kinda attached to a ton of friends here.