Friday, February 20, 2009

Outdoor ventures

Ok, this might sound trivial… but it really was a significant “first” for us: Brianna went outside and walked around in shoes for the first time! It hasn’t been warm enough to attempt this til now. Actually, it still really isn’t warm enough – as you can see from the ice and snow in the background – so it was a brief venture. It was so fun to watch her little face light up as she realized where she was and what she was doing. At first when I put the shoes on, she seemed annoyed with me and tried to remove them. But then I rushed her outside, distracting her from the foreign objects robbing her feet of their freedom. I stood her up in the street… and she promptly plunked back down, I stood her up again. She lingered longer in this position and finally took a few tentative steps after encouragement. Suddenly it was as if the clouds had parted and the sun broke through… Brianna started racing around that pavement as fast as she bow-leggedly (is that a word?) could. She soon noticed the existence of alien items on the ground that needed inspection. So she stooped down for all the little rocks and twigs and snow patches. It’s funny how a few years ago I would’ve been horrified seeing a child put gravel into her mouth. Now I’m just glad it’s not cigarette butts (which – in this photograph, I’m covering up with my shoe. If you look close at her face, you can tell she’s crying out in protest of my cruel censorship.)

These are the only shoes she has right now in her size:
I like them because they’re great for beginners - featherweight and Velcro. As soon as she gets into size 4, she’ll have a closet full of shoes (thank you Carrie!)

One of the results of outdoor ventures has been a significant increase in dirty laundry…

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked this post a lot. Mean mom, not letting her play with the cigarette butt. ;) I clicked on the picture to see her face, she was protesting for sure! Emma got to go outside and play in the backyard for the first time on Friday. She had a blast, once she got used to walking on the soggy squishy brown grass.

Becky and Brian said...

What fun it must be now that she is walking. The pictures are cute!

Becky and Brian said...

What fun it must be now that she is walking. The pictures are cute!

Makenzie Iorg said...

Of course I remember you! Brianna is so adorable! You are a serious blogger! And it looks like you're a great mom too!

Unknown said...

How cute! There is no stopping her from being outside now, mom! I have made it a point to put shoes on Addison's feet EVERY time we leave the house, so now she knows that she MUST have shoes on to go outside.

Unknown said...

I love these pictures, and I love to watch my kids discover the outdoors. I remember the horror of some old ladies in my ward as I let Abby play in dirt at this age at a ward picnic. Kids love dirt, why ruin their freedoms.

ChrisnDave said...

Hey girl, a few things...
1) Beware, now that she knows how awesome it is outside, she'll never want to be indoors! Rio doesn't care if its 20 degrees and sleeting, he wants to be OUTSIDE and stands by the back door gazing longingly until I let him out :)
2) A few posts back you mentioned something about trying to eat as healthily as your baby does - I'm totally guilty too - and made that one of my goals too :)
3) I think you also mentioned homemade fruit strips - is there a quick/easy recipe? Do you just mush up dried fruits and then spread them out and cut them into strips?

chelsea mckell said...

Chris - 1) yep, it's happening...
2) It's easier said than done!
3) Been doing fruit leather for years... all I do is puree the raw fruits and pour it onto the dehydrator trays (on fruit leather sheets). Some people sweetners, but if the fruit is ripe enough it's not necessary. Recipe... naw. Just throw it randomly and taste test :)