Sunday, February 22, 2009

The commute


We have driven Highway 40 between Provo and Vernal approximately 122 times (19,520 miles). Thankfully, only 160 of those miles were put on our own car. I can count on one hand the number of times we have NOT done the drive in the dark (usually from 7-10pm) so Brianna will sleep through it.
But last Sunday morning, I did the drive solo from 6-9am (Brian left the night before with Brianna, and I stayed behind to finish packing and cleaning the house in Provo). It was the first time - in all those thousands of miles - that I really noticed and appreciated the panorama. With the sun coming up over those wide-open plains - I just had to snap a view shots.
I probably should've pulled over to do it - so the view wasn't marred by the streaks on the windshield - but I've never heard it was illegal to take pictures while driving (unlike texting - which I totally agree with).
This particular drive also featured 3 close encounters with wildlife (deer and cattle), and 2 police pull-overs (one for going 37 in a 30 in Duchesne, the other for not having headlights on in the fog - both just warnings - WHEW!) In the very near future, this weekly commute (we've never spent a full weekend in Vernal) should be OVER.

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am sure that the communte gets old. It is nice to feel settled somewhere. I hope everything with your move turns out well.

Unknown said...

Congrats on not getting a ticket!!! I think they are pretty harsh over in the Dueschesne area! (At least they were to me!)

Julie said...

Who knew the drive to Vernal could be pretty?! Cool pics! Funny that now that you will be done moving shortly we are just beginning to start our packing and journeys back and forth (only to springville though so you don't need to feel bad :) lol )

Mandy said...

Glad you didn't get a ticket(s)!! I HATE being pulled over. (which is why I hardly ever speed . . . if there were no cops, I'd be a crazy driver!! :)

I am sure it's nice to almost be done with the commute! Last year when we were going back and forth from AZ to UT, it wasn't fun! (although we didn't quite go every weekend . . .) It's always nice to be settled some place!

Amy Hunter said...

You are one lucky dog! 2 times! It must be because you are so cute. Anyway, I don't blame you for not wanting to commute anymore, but I still miss you all. I'm glad that it's not permanent.

Alyssa said...

Dear Chelsea. I knew a girl once who blogged but sadly, her life isn't as exciting as having an adorable Brianna to blog about. I'm pretty sure the blogging world would die from boredom if I were to blog about the dull, everyday happenings of work. I promise, once something blog-worthy happens in my life I will dedicate the page to you :)P.S. Brianna is seriously adorable.

Jenna said...

so you are moving from provo to vernal? i cannot believe you commuted that far! crazy!