Monday, July 26, 2010

apricots

Adding to the list of things I love about our church... we do really cool projects like creating huge orchards, using the produce for some sort of domestically incredible project to benefit mankind, then offering up all the leftover fruit for free gleaning to the public! When I got word of the acres and acres of huge apricot trees needing gleaning in Hurricane (pronounced Her-kin - ridiculous, I know) I coerced my little family into spending our Friday night there:
We took home about forty pounds of these beauties. And that's only because Brian made me leave when it started to get so dark that we were tripping over everything. Brianna was actually geniunely helpful - a rarity. She got all the apricots on the low branches, and picked up apricots that feel off the tree when I shook the branches. She freaked out a little every time she saw a bug, and she ate so many apricots that she had ISSUES the next day (like 10 trips to the potty and 2 accidents), but I think she'd agree it was worth it. I owe the biggest thankyou to Brian, who doesn't even EAT apricots (weirdo), but came along and helped out anyway. We had fun passing out bags of these to our neighbors, since there were too many for us to eat and I'm not about to do any big projects with them. I'm going to miss fruit excursions like this when the babes come and it's not quite so easy to take off whenever we want. But I'd rather have babies than apricots, so I'm happy. And very full of vitamin A.

9 comments:

Briett said...

yummy! i don't think our are ripe yet, can't wait!

Natalia said...

40 lbs?!?! That is a TON of apricots!

Marilyn said...

You are a very good writer, Chelsea. You are honest and intuitive. Also, I love your sense of humor.

Unknown said...

I have a pretty kick butt recipe for Pineapple Apricot jam if you are up to canning your own jam. {I am in love with canning!}
I agree with Brian. Apricots aren't my favorite to eat either, but the jam is good!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeAnne said...

Oh you are so lucky! Those look delicious. They are also a lower carb fruit. I ate several when I had gestational diabetes last year. Nice work!

redrockmama said...

What a fun day!!!

We picked apples last year in Springdale...and we just kept picking and picking...it didn't really seem like *that* much, I figured about 40 lbs. But when we went to weigh in at the scale, we had picked 120 lbs of apples!!

Unreal. We had a ton to dry, can and make applesauce though.

You look great! Can't wait to meet those babies.

Debbie said...

I thought we discussed the apricot picking opportunity - I think I suggested you "not"...glad you did!

Megan Smith said...

yay for apricots!!!!