Friday, July 2, 2010

Keeping the Sabbath Day animated

Once a week when Brianna wakes up and we tell her it's Sunday morning, she excitedly replies, "time for JESUS MOVIES!" She knows the routine! Here she is holding her doll and her teddy bear, enjoying one of our Living Scriptures Animated Stories From the New Testament:
Yeah, we got sucked into buying the whole set when some kid came door to door and sold us on it. We got a good deal, kindof... though now I've been to several garage sales and have seen them for fifty cents each. Bummer. Oh well, the DVDs will last longer, right? And they came with coloring books. Notice in the photos how she's totally getting into it - bottom left she's shouting "HOORAY!" and holding her dolls up because something hooray-worthy occured. In the top photo, she's laughing at camels, I think. Bottom right - I asked her to wave to the camera. She put her hand up quickly, without even taking her eyes off the screen to look at me.
Since our church time is one of the later ones, we have to try and keep the mornings really calm. Otherwise, she's crrrraaaazzzzyyy at church - hyperactive and desperately needing a nap. If we can keep the mornings really calm and low key - by staying inside and just reading, watching movies, and playing quietly, then she makes it through church quite well.
I really like these movies - and all the animated scripture movies, in general. I watched TONS of them growing up, over and over and over again. That's all we were allowed to watch on Sundays (until 5pm - Brian likes to make fun of that rule), and my parents invested in the whole set - Book of Mormon, Old and New Testament, even the Hero series. I remember in Sunday School and Primary knowing the answers to questions better than the other kids because I watched all these videos. Even now, when I'm reading the Book of Mormon and come across a familiar story, I have the whole scene in my head from the videos. A purist may argue that it's better to actually just READ the scriptures to your kids, and get them to read it on their own, then just imagine the scene for themselves.  Sure. Ha. Then Brianna would probably picture Jesus looking similar to one of her other favorites, like Elmo or Bob & Larry. I have nooooo problem (obviously) with her spending Sunday mornings being entertained, educated, and kept calm with her "Jesus movies."

3 comments:

DeAnne said...

I want some of those movies real bad. I tried to find something like that at our bookstore, but what I found wasn't even close. oh well. i'll have to keep my eyes out at the garage sales. I like that 5pm rule :)

Jordan and Crystal said...

love the movies1 i want to buy them! so expensive...I grew up on them too! I figure maybe it will be a grandparents gift someday

Sally Jackson said...

Ha ha. My husband refuses to let us own animated scripture movies. I don't think I have a problem with them, but he insists that our kids would grow up never picking up their actual books, and think that real prophets were cartoons. But I think you turned out okay.......