Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Our last date

Well, I guess it's not accurate to say this was our LAST date... I mean, eventually our kids will be old enough to leave with babysitters/friends... but last Saturday felt like a last hurrah to our relative ease in planning outings together. Our good friends agreed to let Brianna play at their house for a few hours, and we had initially planned to go see Eclipse. But then I remembered that the temple would be closed next Saturday (Pioneer Day), and the Saturday after that might be toooooo late (and my dress TOO TIGHT!) and the movie theater would still be open on the holiday and we could wait to see Eclipse.  So we trekked down to the sweltering desert of St. George and did our last session together, then went to a little outdoor bistro with misters and fans blowing on us. It was so nice to spend time together! I'm going to really miss going to the temple with Brian. It will be a long time before we can do that again... I mean, who's going to watch our crazy toddler and infant twins?! Even in a year or two when they're older and weaned and content without with their parents nearby... there's THREE of them - that's a lot to ask anyone to take care of! I'd like to know how other parents manage temple trips in the midst of these young-family years. I know we can trade off and just go without each other... but that's not the same. We did it when we were in Vernal - the temple was walking distance away, so once a week I'd say adios to Brian as soon as he got home from work and head over. I guess it's a small sacrifice to make, in the long run. When we're old, we can do whatever we want whenever. Just like the first 3 years of our marriage - we got to enjoy trips together nearly every week, with a frozen yogurt date afterward. Then a little break when the monkey arrived. But as soon as she'd take expressed milk in a bottle, I could go again. Now, though, even in a few months when our babies might do the same, I can't imagine leaving Brian solo with all three! So... no solution. We'll just figure it out somehow (that seems to be my motto with life-planning in general these days - we'll just figure it out somehow). Another reason I'll miss having official dates with Brian - he gets all suave and opens doors, holds my hands, sneaks kisses.... it's so fun, and makes me feel attractive despite my large-woman status. I love my B. I guess we'll just have to get more creative.... or more boring!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Find another family with 2 or 3 small children, that you trust of course, and swap temple nights with them! You watch their kids while they go and they watch yours while you go I may be a madhouse for a few hours, but it's worth the time together.

Also, I follow a blog called Love, actually that is all about dating your spouse. There are great ideas for dates that you can do at home. We've done them a few times and really love them.

Unknown said...

PS - your blog template has been deleted. I love shabbyblogs.com and mystylebackgrounds.blogspot.com . Wow, I'm just full of information tonight.

Debbie said...

The Lord knows what's in your heart and particularly what will be in your hands! I could come watch them - expensive temple trip!