Tuesday, July 13, 2010

35 weeks and still kickin'

Today might have been our last ultrasound (hooray! It's not easy laying on my back that long!). I'm so incredibly grateful that we've made it this far and are doing so well. Months ago I pictured myself mid-July being miserable on bedrest, or delivering premature babies - simply because that's the twin-preg story I hear most often. But I'm feeling great! Besides the annoyance of swollen hands and feet, I have nothing to complain about. I used to think that everyday was my last day of running, but now I can picture myself still hitting the trails/treadmill right up until delivery day. It's such a blessing to be able to still be fully active, because anything less would be extremely difficult, considering my circumstances - no family around, Brian working 11-12 hrs/day, and an active toddler to entertain. Brianna goes nuts staying inside for more than an hour, so we're always heading out on walks, pool trips, park trips, beach trips, playdates, etc. And I still have SO much to do in my house before the babies come - lots of unfinished projects, stuff to organize, clutter to de-clutter...  so being able to do everything I need/want to do is a tremendous blessing. Now we just have to get big healthy babies out, breastfeed successfully, recover quickly, and all my prayers will be answered!
Today's photoshoot: 
Our boy was facing away from us, so all that can really be seen is an ear and his hand. But obviously our daughter's face shot is a little easier to see. The ultrasound tech said that they're just getting too big to get good pictures. The last photo is of their heads next to each other! They're both lying breech & parallel. I love thinking of them cuddling up with each other, floating around in the amniotic fluid...but in all reality, they're probably very squished and shoving each other around a lot. Here's the best part: at their last ultrasound they weighed 3-6 and 3-9, so I was crossing my fingers for at least 4-8 each... but to my delight, our son's estimated weight is FIVE POUNDS and his twin sister FIVE POUNDS FOUR OUNCES!  My ecstatic happy-party was soon shut down when the tech reminded me that these estimations are based on head, abdomen, and femur measurements, which can be difficult to accurately acquire, so they could be off by as much as a pound.  Psh.  Whatev. I have at least 10 pounds of baby in me, and no one will convince me otherwise. It helps me justify the 37 lbs I've gained, which I'm also blaming partially on water weight from the minor edema. Nevermind the 9pm 8th meal I regularly indulge in. Brian has stopped commenting on my late-night eating habits, since he knows I'll just refute with, "it's not for me, it's for your babies." He's also stopped commenting on the very embarrassing fact that I now outweigh him, which I never thought possible. But our skinny ERAC workaholic superhero has lost 10 pounds during this pregnancy, so I had the odds against me.
So if all continues to go well, we'll have delivery (operation) day exactly 3 weeks from now. That's 21 days, people. TWENTY ONE DAYS.  ahhhhh!  So much to do. So easy to push it all off and just play with Brianna all day. So happy I get my babies soon!

That's all for now.

What's that, you say?
You want the 35-week belly picture?
You wanna know exactly what a fat swollen Chelsea looks like?
 Ok, fine - here's my latest:
... in all my blubbery glory, with my little-white-whale-on-the-go at my side. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...  (thank you Dory!)

10 comments:

Laura said...

Yay Chelsea! Incidentally, reading your post has confirmed to me that my mom is not a liar - she said she was playing tennis the day before she had me and Suzy, and I was never sure if she was lying or not. Turns out it IS possible to do athletic stuff right before having twins! (Of course, we were a month early and my mom had no idea she was having twins until the night before...but it was the 1980s, what do you expect!) Good luck with everything!

Malerie said...

Haha. You DO NOT look like those beluga whales. Cute - yes, blubbery - no. I can't believe you're already 35 weeks. That's so exciting. And I'm so glad you're still on track to deliver on time with nice big, healthy babies. Your comment about outweighing Brian is so funny. That's always an annoying possibility when I'm pregnant, but I guess when you have skinny husbands, you really can't avoid it :)

Good luck with the last few weeks! Can't wait to see them!

Jordan and Crystal said...

yeah 35 weeks! why not go to 40??? :)

Amanda said...

Oh man, the countdown is really on now! I am so impressed that you are still working out, I am the Worst at working out when I am pregnant! I will pay for it later I am sure! Good luck with all final preparations, but I am with you, playing all day is way more fun.

Oh hey, Grace is still in her crib, hehe. I feel the same way as you did, no need to push it. By the end of summer she will be in a big bed, but for now I am not too stressed about it:)

Brittany said...

YAY!!!! So glad to hear all is well....really well!!! That is so wonderful that you can still run! I'm in bed most of the time. I'm not complaining, I'll do whatever it takes to keep these babies in and growing!!! My babies are both head down and down in there to the point that it feels like the are going to fall out...sorry if that's TMI:) I have my ultrasound Thursday....It will be fun to compare stats.

Cassie said...

You are so close!!!! Hang in there the last few weeks! Enjoy your alone time with Brianna until they come. I had almost 10 lbs of baby in me too when i delivered my one baby ;) By the way a few posts down you said you transitioned Brianna into a toddler bed, we are doing that in a few weeks and I am dreading it! Any tips or tricks??

Unknown said...

I can not believe that you are 35 weeks already. It seems like not that long ago you were telling people that you were pregnant and now you are about to have them. (Now on the other hand, it seems like I have been pregnant FOREVER!)
The picture you posted about the beluga whales is EXACTLY what I thought my baby looked like on her first ultrasound. I never thought it would be me that actually ended up looking like that!

Megan Smith said...

You're doing so great! Also I love Mama and baby animal pictures. I also love that you're almost done with your pregnancy and I love that the babies are growing and healthy. I'm going to be an auntie twice on the same day!!

Debbie said...

Don't do anything out of the ordinary til I get there!

Chelsea and Cody said...

So happy and excited for you!