Saturday, July 10, 2010

crib --> bed

A couple months ago we finally transitioned Brianna from her crib to a toddler bed.
Though obviously we did this a lot later than most people do, I actually hadn't even intended on moving her to a bed that weekend. But we happened to stop at a yardsale that had this super cute toddler bed for just $15. I offered 13, thinking that if he didn't take it then obviously it was a sign from the heavens that Brianna was meant to stay in her crib forever. But darn it all, he glad accepted my cash and we took home Brianna's new bed. Looking back I now realize how cheap I must've seemed... I mean, the bed is in perfect condition, the mattress looks brand new, the stars on it still glow in the dark, and the railing is very sturdy. And the best part - it has Winnie the Pooh sheets, so she instantly fell in love!I had avoided this move for so long simply because I saw no point. It's not like it's some sort of developmental milestone to be reached. When I asked her pediatrician at her 2 yr appt if it was ok that she still slept in a crib, he smiled and said that many parents make the transition too early for the same reason they start their babies on solid food too early - just to feel like their child is more advanced. But it only increases the chances of having problems, like a toddler that doesn't STAY in their bed all night, or takes a long time (and/or a lot of threats) to coax to sleep. I've dreaded experiencing the bed/sleep-battle horror stories I've heard/read about, so that's why I've just put this off. But I figured that in case she did have problems with her new bed, it would be better to deal with it now than when I have newborns.
Fortunately, it was a relatively smooth transition! We jumped up and down and made a big fool of ourselves, trying to convince her this was the coolest, most exciting event since potty training. It worked for awhile. She actually asked to go sleep in her crib one night, and I let her, acting like it was no big deal. I think she was just testing me to make sure she was in control.Then we went through a stage a few weeks ago where she kept waking up - like 2 or 3 times a night - with various excuses: potty, needing water, wanting to come into our bed, lost blanket... it got very annoying. But we discovered that if we leave the hall light on, she went to bed quicker and stayed in bed. So maybe she was just scared of the dark.
Anyways, I haven't put this much time and thought into baby/child sleep analysis since the first few months of her life. I forgot how intense it can be - watching the clock, keeping routines, analyzing every failure and success... you'd think something as natural and instinctive as SLEEP wouldn't be so complicated!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Man you are lucky! I just wish my child would sleep in her bed all by herself. Can Brianna come and train my child how to properly eat and sleep? That would be much appreciated!

Brandon and Kim said...

Cici had a hard time sleeping in a crib so I knew the bed would be no different, but we are in a good routine now. We only switch because she fell out of the crib. I was going to keep her in the crib as long as possible. Potty training is going to be a week of no work no obligations and all about potty. hopefully it works. I am planning on September if she is ready by then. She poops on potty but often forgets to go on potty to pee. You do amazing with brianna, I know u will be great with the twins

Debbie said...

Cute little girl in cute little bed