Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Gold Medalist

The Utah Summer Games are held here in Cedar City every summer. This was their 25th anniversary.They're an Olympic-style sports festival for athletes of all ages and abilities, with an average of 9,600 participants, 50,000 spectators, and 1,000 volunteers each year. I participated in the 5K and 10K last summer and loved it (and secretly want to do the half marathon this September). Brian didn't do anything last year but seriously benefit from the increase in car rental business. But this year he decided to tap into his competitive side and sign up for the Basketball Skills event. It was a one-night competition featuring foul shots, 3-pointers, and a two minute crazy shooting contest  (that's what I called it at least). Brianna and I were there to cheer him on:
 
Top left: Brian registering, with a nervous Brianna anxiously awaiting start time. Middle photo: Brianna giving her dad a celebration hug at the end. Bottom right: Brianna cheering from the bleachers. As I was sitting on the bleachers next to her I decided to take a picture of what is left of my lap: 
Brian and Brianna scarfed down the athlete's pizza afterwards. Not sure why they decided to squat/sit down on the sidewalk, but I thought it was photo-worthy: 
And here we have our hometown hero sporting his Gold medal for the foul shot contest and bronze medal for the 3-point contest. He's on his phone in the left picture, probably calling someone to inform them of his feats. He's quite proud of himself.
And I'm just glad he had a lot of fun.