Saturday, November 7, 2009

Neighborly, part 2


I've posted about our neighbors a few times before.... they're awesome. Tom and Debra are from Burmingham and have a home next to us as their "western retreat." They refer to themselves as Brianna's surrogate grandparents. Sadly, they went back to Alabama for the winter.... dang snowbirds. When I found out they were leaving in just a few days, I blurted out, "well then you two have to come over tomorrow night for dessert and games!" I must have forgot that I'm not good at making desserts. At least I didn't say DINNER.... then I'd really be in trouble. So I did what I always do when I need kitchen help - called mom. She walked me through a fabulous recipe for "apple pie in a bag." It was awesome - so easy and yummi. Brianna helped me slice all the apples in my cuisinart (love that machine):
Our neighbors were quite impressed when I pulled the big brown grocery bag out of the oven and cut it open to reveal our pie:It was a tad overdone - as you can see - a little too brown on top. But that made the homemade PEAR icecream melt quite nicely over it. I made that little treat in my Vitamix.

We also invited the neighbors next to the Browns - Doug and Dorothy. They are a really sweet couple, both working still, and have reputation for the nicest yard in the neighborhood. Doug helps me with our sprinklers, since I am likely to kill off our entire landscape if left to manage it solo. After dessert we played "Chat Pack" - a question game my mom gave us. It's one of those un-game type activities... no scoring or rules... just random, interesting questions. With the right company, it creates some hilarious conversations.

7 comments:

Anderson Family said...

You are so good at this blogging thing! Hey it may have been a little over done but by the looks of it, i think it must have been yummy!

Amy Hunter said...

Well well you are turning into a regular domestic diva, Becky homecky! I wish I was your neighbor.

Crystal and Jordan said...

so fun!!

DeAnne said...

That is so cute. I love how you're hangin with the older folk. I bet they love it too. You might have to post that recipe, ya know. Sounds interesting! and oooo you have a vitamix? just heard about those.

Debbie said...

Doing the "neighborly thing" is becoming a lost art. Good for you!

summer said...

You are an angel! I love the apple pie in a bag - post the recipe please! Also, I am loving the neighborly thing here as well - we are noticing that so many people just want others to notice and care about them...and there are times where we find the very best of friends in the most unlikely of places.

I wish you lived out here by me so we could be Ward Missionaries together! Keep doing what you are, others could use a little (some a BIG) nudge to remember how to be kind and gracious to others! :)

Mandy said...

Um, don't you know it's rude to talk about (and show pictures of) food and NOT share the recipe! :) I'd love the recipe for both the pie AND ice cream (I have a vitamix too). Thanks!

Looks like you had a bunch of fun!