Monday, November 16, 2009

Ok, fine - here are the details.

I really don't even wanna blog about the triathlon - still upset over lost pictures. And not just lost pictures of the tri - pictures of Brianna doing cute stuff afterwards at the park, and pictures of the tri-ward swap meet event. My camera (or the SD card?) has done this before. It asks me to "scan and repair" the card when I insert it to the laptop. If I let it "scan" - it's like letting Brianna into the pantry. Random destruction and consumption. {sigh}
But since I've been asked about it a few times... here's some proof I actually did it:
The tshirt (dri-fit quality style - I hate these types of shirts cuz they fit me oddly), the helmet I won (SOOOOO happy - my former helmet is at least a decade old and breakable with my bare hands), and the plaque (which I think is so pointless - what do I do with it? It's going in a box with the others. That sounds so arrogant, I know... but I don't know how to say it without sounding snooty... I wish race directors would just give me the money they spend on trophies/ribbons/plaques instead. Even if it's just 5 bucks.)
Ok, so - race details. We swam 400 yds (16 lengths or 8 laps), biked 10 miles, and ran a 5K. My final time was 1:07:01. I wish I had known to run 2 seconds faster so I could just say 1:06. But then I just would've wished I had gone 59 seconds faster so I could say 1:05. Never satisfied. That's an issue with me. My swim was slow - 7:53. In the SUU pool two days before I timed myself closer to 7 minutes flat. Twice. But I was sharing a lane with a really big guy, so each time I passed him it messed me up, and I lost track of my lap count so I was freaking out about that. And I kept getting too close to the wall on my flip turns. Lots of excuses. I'm a whiner. After that I rushed out and threw on my bike shoes. Well, Lindy's bike shoes. I borrowed the bike, shoes, and outfit from my friend/neighbor/VT Lindy. She's awesome. She actually does open-water full-distance triathlons. I want to be her when I grow up. The outfit was great - specialty tri-shorts and top, so I never had to change clothes! I swam, biked, and ran in the same (very comfortable) attire. I thought I would feel horribly self-conscious in such a revealing outfit, but when I got there I realized I was dressed quite modestly compared to everyone else. So back to the bike.... I thought this would be the WORST part of the event. I had only tried Lindy's bike once. I'm used to my little commuter-hybrid bike. But I just
flew in it. Road bikes are amazing. I'd never really used one before this. They felt so dangerous and out of control... tiny tires, horizontal body position.... so awkward and unsafe. But once I clipped my shoes in (took me a full 30-40 seconds - I'm very bad at it) I took off and went as hard as I could. It was tough because I didn't know my standing in the race. Since the swim began by waiting in line for the pool for 40 minutes (not joking), I had no idea if the girl up ahead was actually ahead of me, or had started the swim 10 minutes before me and I was passing her. We had chip timers on our left ankles. Another awkward part - I don't like those. The biking was difficult when we had to make turns - I get really paranoid about slipping and biffing it bad. So I ride the brakes the whole time. There was a guy I was biking along side of who would pass me on each uphill, then I would pass him as we leveled out or went downhill. At the last downhill I yelled to him, "no more uphills for you!" My version of trash-talking. After the bike I raced in and threw on my racing shoes. And socks. I debated for a ridiculously long time about socks, and asked several seasoned triathletes. Jury was out. So I opted for socks, and probably should've done without. That would've given me my two seconds I wanted. Of course, as I started to run, my legs felt like bricks. I couldn't catch my stride for a long time. My goal was to let no one pass me. And to catch every single person I could see. The course was ridiculous - a 1.55 mile loop we had to do twice. But they had to have it that way because the beginner triathlon course was half the sprint distance. My run was 23:16 - I'm embarrassed to write that, especially considering how hard I tried. I really thought I'd run my usually 20-minutish 5K. I didn't think the swim & bike would affect my legs so much. I learned a lot from this race. Oh, and the bike was 34:31. The first transition took 45 seconds and the second 34 seconds. That could really use some improvement. There were nine men ahead of me - one being my friend from Orem, Devin Moody. It was fun to see one familiar face. There were great snacks afterwards, and MASSAGES. mmmhmmm. Brian was such a champ - taking great care of Brianna, keeping her from jumping in the pool, helping her steal snacks from the refreshment table, and teaching her to say, "go fastu mommy!" each time they saw me.
And the BEST part of the race.... my new tatoo!
(it's hard to take a picture of your own arm - here's another attempt:)
I'm never washing it off.

Oh, and afterward as we were wandering around killing time until the award ceremony (which I usually don't stay for - I hate how long it takes. But I didn't know if I had won or not) I got sucked in to signing up for Winder Farms home delivery. The saleslady was good. She passed out samples of their organic, hormone free chocolate milk. It was kindof to-die-for. We got to take home this big cooler free and FULL of their fresh for signing up! And we got $15 of free credit and a bunch of coupons. And a few loaves of their bread - one of which (the 10 grain) is seriously THE best bread I've ever had, aside from that one in the DR I posted about, but this one's actually healthy. Anyways, so we have to have their truck come to our house once a week for the next 24 weeks, and have to order at least $8 worth. They have a $2.99 delivery fee. So I don't think it's a big money-saver. Maybe it will be an even wash by the time we cancel.
That's all. Time to get back to Brianna-focused-blogging.

5 comments:

Crystal and Jordan said...

so you won not even training! awesome

Unknown said...

You're amazing. And you're making me tired.

Veronica said...

Congrats! That's an awesome accomplishment!

Laura said...

Wow Chelsea, I'm very impressed by your triathlon-ing!!! That's amazing, I don't think I can even swim one lap in the pool haha.

Mandy said...

Great job! Lindy may be your hero, but you're mine! I really would love to be as athletic as you are . . . maybe some day! :)

Oh, we have Winder too . . . I'm probably going to cancel soon, everything is a little more expensive, BUT going into the winter months, that is when I use it the most! I love not having to worry about going out when the weather is bad!! I bet you'll like it! If you buy a bunch of other stuff when you go to the grocery store, it does save you money . . . but you don't strike me as the type who does that! :)