Sunday, November 22, 2009

The marriage to which I aspire

Our ward started the Marriage & Family Sunday School class, so I'm attending it while Brian teaches the 13 yr olds. We were talking about the qualities of a good marriage. One elderly man was called on, as he and his sweet wife were about to celebrate their 63rd anniversary. They're such a cute couple - always holding hands or touching in some way. He was asked what their secret is. He smiled and said, "Well, we never ever argue. We disagree on some things, but we never - - oh wait, there's one thing we argue about. Taking out the trash!" We all laughed, but he shook his head and went on, "Because I have a bad heart, and she has a bad back. She always tries to take the garbage out before I do, so I don't strain my heart, and I always try to take it out before she does, so she won't hurt her back."

5 comments:

B said...

I absolutely love this, your wrote it perfectly for the punch line at the end! I am sure you will have that same marriage. - your cousin Brooke.

ps. grandpa kept calling me a few weeks ago and leaving me messages for you. I told my mom that he has confused our telephone numbers because when I call him back he gets confused.

BBS said...

This is such a sweet and inspiring post--remember what we were talking about?? I want to share this with others.
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

So sweet. 63 years amazing!

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing that. Does he have a grandson that I could contact?

Mandy said...

Oh.my.gosh. I LOVE that!!! Seriously, that is just the cutest thing EVER!! I will be stealing it from you to use in lessons . . . I may post it on FB too (hope that's o.k.) I LOVE IT!! I think every married person should hear that!!