Sunday, October 31, 2010

Just another Brianna story

 We've had some nap issues with Brianna. She's usually fought it to some extent, but typically it's pretty painless to convince her to go lay down. All I have to do is tell her something fun we'll do AFTER she takes a nap. But some days she gets overtired and then it's a battle. She's not ready to give up naps though - I've made the mistake of letting her just bypass naptime and then she's a monster around 5pm, crashes somewhere, then is up til 10 or later. No fun. So even when she assures me she's not sleepy, I stand my ground. But I try to stay calm and ignore her freak-out crying and just keep repeating, "we'll be able to do that [whatever she's begging for, usually a movie or playing on the swings] after you go lay down on your bed and take a nap."
Today she had arrived home from having tons of fun with her friend Maya at the library, and she was pretty wound up. She insisted she was NOT TIRED. I was sitting on the couch feeding Bennett. She kept whining and throwing a tantrum so I asked her to go to her room if she was going to keep on being so loud. So she ran off, and literally 90 seconds later I found her buried into her Elmo chair, totally passed out. Notice: bum in air, thumb in mouth, dirty feet, too-small Halloween festive clothes. That's my girl!

2 comments:

DeAnne said...

That's a cute story. They always know best don't they? Pretty soon, she'll even start telling you she's smarter than you :)

Malerie said...

It's good to hear other people are experiencing similar struggles with their toddlers. Sometimes I can't believe how strong willed and stubborn these cute little girls can be. Good luck :)