Wednesday, October 6, 2010

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

I've been working on the alphabet with Brianna since before she could talk. I sang the ABC song to her every day multiple times - specifically on our walks to and from the Rec Center in Vernal every day. So she got that down fast. I'm pretty sure I posted a video of her at 18 months singing the song by herself.
But she had no idea what she was singing.
So I've been trying to teach her the actual letters and their sounds now. It's been frustrating that she never seemed to GET it. I mean, she's only 2.5, so she doesn't actually NEED to know them yet... but I have this ridiculous fear of her not being ready for kindergarten and me getting in trouble for being a slacker mom. And most of her friends around her age seem to know their letters. Or at least that's what their moms have blogged about. So unless they were [ahem] FIBBING....
But I can exhale now, because she's finally got it. One day a couple weeks ago in the bathtub she started correctly identifying all the letters! Either the light bulb suddenly went on, or she's been holding out on me and just staying silent until the big finale. There are still a few she's not solid on, but really.... V, U, W - totally not necessary.    :)
ps - thank you Nonny for the bathtub toys!
pps - I typed the title of this post in 6 seconds without looking at the keys. It's my secret talent.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Emma's almost three and she doesn't know how to sing all of the alphabet (she jumps around a lot) and she doesn't know any of her letters, except "Y" (from Y mountain). So don't beat yourself up too much!

Debbie said...

Brianna is A adorable!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

You HAVE to get the Leap Frog Letter Factory Video!! She will know all of her letters and sounds without any work on your part! :)