Saturday, October 16, 2010

First post-preg + post-injury 5K

There are few things I get as excited about as a local fun run. I love everything about them. I've probably done at least 500 in my lifetime. I have 2 large boxes stuffed full of old race shirts. Which means I've spent thousands in entrance fees. But they're worth every penny. I can't think of a better way to start a Saturday. My dream is to travel the world, doing races in different countries. My feelings for running/racing closely resemble the way I've heard junkies describe their need for a hit.
But the little SUU Homecoming 5K here in Cedar was enough to give me a high that lasted all weekend. It was awesome. Then again, anything involving me doing something non-child-related is awesome. The course was hilly and challenging and partly on trails (which I'm slightly paranoid about, ever since that little, uh, near-death incident). I felt kinda out of place there, like everyone was staring at me thinking, "what are YOU doing here - you don't look like a runner, with that muffin top." But I actually didn't even see anyone that I knew, besides my friend's little brother and two ladies from my ward. I loved that there was no pressure - it didn't matter if I was dead last. I was just there for personal fulfillment. And to set the bar for myself. Every 5K from here on out must get progressively faster. Or I will have some serious feelings of lack of self worth. Kinda not joking. So the bar is set at 23:33. I'm embarrassed to write that. But I have really good excuses, right? Twins, injury... blahblahblah. It doesn't make me feel much better about my current fitness level. There's another 5K here in town in a couple weeks. Can't wait! I'm so grateful Brian is so supportive. His job is a lot harder than running... he has to keep 3 kids happy while I'm gone! But as long as I don't interfere with his work schedule, doesn't complain at all with whatever I need him to do. He even picked up our huge Bountiful Basket order at 6:45am because I didn't want to waste my limited morning energy. I want to do the Snow Canyon Half Marathon next month. But I'm not ready. I haven't done a long run over 7 miles yet. We'll see. I don't want to injure myself. After Brianna, I did too much too soon and ended up with plantar fasciitis. In my mind I'm invincible. But my body constantly reminds me that I'm not 20 years old and 30 pounds lighter than I am now. So I have to be careful. I'm glad I can honestly say I gave it my all at the 5K. No regrets. I treated the event as if it was actually a big deal and had some sort of significance beyond the short time it took out of my morning. It was important to me. And since the rest of the minutes and hours in my days are mostly filled with doing things for the little people, I don't feel bad about sacrificing family time to indulge in my favorite hobby.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I am glad that you are able to run again. It must be a really nice break for you and feel healthy as well. The twins look so good. You are quite the accomplished person.