Saturday, October 9, 2010

mother of the year

Last night around 3am I was up with one of the babies... can't remember which one... probably didn't even know at the time which one... and he or she was cryingcryingcrying. I was so frustrated... baby was well fed, burped, fully clothed, it was nighttime.... WHY WEREN'T THEY SLEEPING?!?! I was bouncing around the house, re-swaddling, singing songs, ssshhhing, swinging... nothing worked. Baby still whining. I was so tired my head hurt. Finally Brian came out to see what was wrong... (I had been trying to let him get more sleep, since he had a long day at work behind and ahead of him)... and he asked if I had checked the diaper. 
Duh.
Totally mustard-filled.
Changed it and got baby back to sleep.
You'd think with 3 kids I'd have this whole infant-thing down. But I find myself having "mother of the year" (sarcastic toned title) moments all the time. Every day it seems like. Just stupidstupid mistakes. It's one thing when I'm honestly trying as hard as I can to do everything I know how to do right... but when I mess up on the obvious stuff... I question whether I should quit this job and go back to just teaching swim lessons. At least none of my kids ever drowned. 
If Brianna, Courtney, and Bennett make it to adulthood unscathed... it will be a miracle.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

been there, done that. You don't know how many times I've thought about making a checklist to mark off at 3 AM. Usually the idea comes up after a situation like this. Poor kids! They'll survive though!

Debbie said...

There there Chelsea...it will all work out. Before you know it, they will be almost 18 and you'll be going off to college WITH them and there will be lots more chances to "get it right". But you won't get it ALL right- but I believe YOU will get more right than wrong. Change the diapers first!

Malerie said...

I'm sorry. I know how you feel (on a smaller scale of course). Hang in there. You're a great mom.

Unknown said...

Your being too hard on yourself. I think every parent has those mother/father of the year moments. When you start to question yourself, just look at your little angels and see how truly happy they are. They wouldn't be that way if you were are terrible mother. I think you are awesome!

Joolz said...

Still do it all the time. Last week the teething was causing wicked diaper rash and the runs. I can't count how many times she burned because I forgot to check!! Keep up the good work and if you didn't make a few mistakes we would all hate you! :)


-Julie