Saturday, October 3, 2009

still procrastinating

Well, not really. The trip re-cap is almost ready. I just promised a friend I'd put these pics up so she could send potential basket-buyers here. Cedar City is now the newest participant in the Bountiful Baskets co-op program. It's huge in AZ - there are about 50 pick-up sites. Utah has 20. There is one location in ID and one in WA. I have no idea how the program started or who's in charge... only that I pay $15 for about $50 worth of produce twice a month! My friend Ashley is in charge of the program here in Cedar. She (and everyone else involved with the co-op) is a volunteer. So BIG THANKS Ash! She's spent a lot of time getting this going - including an orientation meeting in Salt Lake, I think. The baskets we purchase vary each week. I won't know exactly what will be in each box. The option of buying an Asian produce basket, different breads, and bulk quantities of single items (like this week I could've purchased 40lbs of pears for $12) is available. Everything is local and fresh and sometimes organic. My box weighed about 45lbs. The more people that sign up, the more we get in our boxes! The only inconvenience is that participants have to pick up their produce right at 7am on Saturday mornings. But if I'm not available, I can have a friend pick mine up for me. Oh, and there's a $1.50 handling fee (to cover the cost of the truck ). I'm really excited about this program and I think it will get really popular as word spreads.

8 comments:

Megan Smith said...

Love that! I had a service like that up until about a year ago, but not quite that cheap. I think it was $30.00/month here, I'll have to check and see if your program has broken into CA.

Unknown said...

That is really neat! How do I find out if we have one in Logan?

Sam and Melissa said...

That is awesome. I wonder if Ogden does it. By the way, WHERE ARE YOUR VACATION PICTURES?

Julie said...

hey would you hurry up and post about your vacation already!!! :)

Crystal and Jordan said...

where is the place in idaho?

summer said...

That is a fabulous idea! I wonder if they have one here in the city....oh wait, I wouldn't want to carry home a 45 lb. box! I'll just enjoy looking at yours and thinking how delicious it must be :)

chelsea mckell said...

Jen - I like to be lame and respond months late.

YES - there IS a Bountiful Baskets program in Logan. It's at Pace Custom Cases, 125 West 3200 North. Just sign up next Tuesday online at Bountifulbaskets.org

Unknown said...

Chelsea - I saw this post (months ago) and thought it sounded cool, but didn't try it out because I used the utah food co-op. Then my mom and my sister started getting bountiful baskets every week. I got my first order this morning. I LOOOOVE it! I got the organic box, about 45 or 50 pounds for 25 bucks! What an amazing deal! Plus I know we'll eat better just having it in the house!