Saturday, October 24, 2009

Visiting Gpa McKell

A trip "up north" (as my in-laws say) always includes a visit with Grandpa McKell. He's 91 years old and still kickin'! My favorite thing about going to his home is how sincerely happy he is to have us over. It's fun to visit someone when you know they really WANT you there. I wish we lived closer so we could go over more often (it's a solid 3 hour drive from Cedar - with the cruise set on 80).He played his organ for us (B offered interpretive dance), gave high-5's to Brianna, watched part of some foosball game with B while Brianna and I played with his collection of "great-grandkid toys," and sent us home with a bag full of meat. I've never had to purchase beef in my life (I didn't eat it much before I married Brian, and since then - our freezer has been overflowing with steaks!) We brought Grandpa a treat from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory - their "monster" $5 rice crispy treat. He said that would be his dinner for the night. I don't think he was kidding. I had won the Rocky Mountain gift certificate earlier that day at a 5K. I actually did 2 of them that morning - which sounds a little crazy - but it's just like doing a 10K with a little break halfway through. And the best part was hearing Brianna's little cheers. B tried to have her say "run faster mommy!" but she only spoke it quietly, like he was doing to her. So I only heard her yelling "go Chelsea!" copying him. Am I the only one who finds something a little troubling with their child using their first name? Anyways... this post is supposed to be about Grandpa McKell.... yeah, love that guy. Pretty sure he'll make it too 100. I'm looking forward to that party.

No comments: