Thursday, October 29, 2009

We're trying...

But it's really hard! At home we're fine - she sits on the potty and does her thing - IF I keep her bare-bottomed. If she's wearing a diaper, she won't hold it. But I can't just stay home all day - so when we go out, she's diapered, and almost always uses that opportunity to relieve herself. I'm too chicken to put her in underwear yet... maybe that's our next step. These pics are from our first attempt last month. I wanted her to just use the regular toilet, for obvious reasons, but we had to stay right by her and she can't get up there by herself. So we switched to the smaller toddler potty - she can do it solo, and isn't as nervous. Plus, for certain bodily functions, a child needs to be able to have their feet on the ground for support. Or so I've read.

ps - can't believe I'm writing about this, and it just seems so matter-of-fact. I remember years ago hearing other people speak so bluntly about their children's toilet-training development and thinking - ew. Real classy. Now Brian and I regularly sing "the potty song" with Brianna. I'll give you the first line: "byebye peepee, byebye poop. I've got a brand new poooottttyyy, and I'm gonna try it too."

6 comments:

Malerie said...

We've been using the regular potty. Do you think I should get a small one? My only concern was, training them to use the small one and then having to retrain them with the big one. How is that going for you?

Crystal and Jordan said...

not looking forward to this stage

Amanda said...

Holy "crap" I need to start doing this with Grace soon. Good luck and I will be asking for pointers! Yeah for getting rid of diapers!

blm_mckell said...

Good luck. Try using underwear. Kandalyn loves hers.

debbieandstevefamily said...

Comment on the size of the potty - think of the size potty YOU would use in comparison to your size if it were equal to the regular size potty we put our toddlers on! Yep, little child, little potty!

The Moon's said...

you could always try underwear with the diaper over it that way she feels the wet fabric but is easier clean up for you. just an idea