Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Because it's not all about me...

I have to remind myself sometimes that the purpose of this whole blogging-routine (addiction?) is to immortalize Brianna's childhood. Or rather - to record her adventures and development in a way that she might actually be interested in reading someday. She probably won't care to read about my annoyance over too many sweets being brought over to our home by friendly neighbors. She'll probably want to read about what she was like. I recently asked my own mother what I was like at this age (20.5 months). She says I was just a perfect, happy little toddler. Obviously she is having memory problems. She also claims to not remember all my misbehaving during the tween years. She does remember me emptying the pots & pans drawer, sitting in it, then putting all the kitchenware back in. While Brianna hasn't chosen that particular quirk, she has several others. Today I decided to take note of the interesting (in my subjective opinion, of course) behaviors she exhibited:

-First thing in the morning, she informed me: "ah poopy mommy." She wasn't - she just wanted her diaper off so she could roam free. Very tricky.
-She refused to be clothed until I told her we were going to park and she had to have clothes on for that. Then she immediately ran to her closet and picked up the nearest clothing item and started shoving her head into it.
-She asks for oatmeal every morning - "ooomea peeez!" I asked her if she wanted fruit in it. She nodded her head up and down very solemnly. I opened the fridge to show her the options. She selected a kiwi. I tried to convince her that a peach would work better. Just guess if I won.
-At the park, she played on the actual equipment for all of eight minutes. Then she gradually made further and further ventures, until we were just wandering around the neighborhood - her exploring, me pushing the empty stroll
er and perusing Prevention magazine.
-While passing the homes (in the Sunset subdivision near us - where we probably should have bought our home instead) she began taking notice of all the pumpkins. She pointed at one front porch and said, "one...two...PUNKINS!" I was impressed, because we've been working on learning the meaning of numbers, not just reciting them.
-I didn't even know she knew the Sunbeam song. She must have learned it at Nursery. Just today I heard her singing to herself several times, "a suuunbean, a suuunbean, deezuhs ahnts meh foh ah suuunbean." We called Nonny for that one.
-We also called Nonny to show her Brianna's imitation of a hyena (hah hahaaa), an owl (WHOOWHOO), a ghost (BOO), and a puppy (tongue out, panting).
- I was holding Brianna and she suddenly started making fake crying noises for a couple seconds. Then she said, "I kying mommy. I kying." Again, we called Nonny. It's a good thing Nonny and I have unlimited cell phone minutes.
- This one was actually yesterday - but I was so proud of Brianna, I have to make note - she found my phone and held it up to me, saying "Papa! Papa!" That meant she wanted me to call my dad. Usually she only asks me to call Nonny or Daddy or "Mehdef." So we called Papa, and I told Brianna to sing Papa a song. She did the whole alphabet! She's been stubborn about doing it on command lately, or gets distracted half way through.
- Brianna begged for "mahkahs, paypah" (markers and paper). I gave in and let her. I prefer she plays with crayons, for obvious reasons, but I gave in. Then I made the mistake of turning my head for a few minutes. I later discovered her with blue marker all over her clothing and body.
- Brianna dumped my water bottle all over the carpet. She knows she's not supposed to do that. So I sent her to a timeout in her timeout corner by the front door. She sprinted to the corner saying "yaaaayyyy!" And sat smiling, counting with me, for the entire thirty seconds. I struggled to keep a straight face. We obviously need to re-think our discipline tactics.

And now sh
e's in bed, re-energizing.

7 comments:

Amy Hunter said...

YOU are an amazing mom. Seriously. I need to learn from YOU. I need to slow my life down and focus more on teaching my boys. Noah doesn't even know the alphabet yet, and look at his GENIOUS future bride!! She'd be ashamed. Be sure to tell her that it's her mother-in-laws fault, not his. I enjoyed every second of this post because it reminded me of my days with just me and my Judson. I loved those days! I love having more children, but I miss the one on one complete attention. I love that she loves to run around in her birthday suit! She'd fit right in with my boys. She is going to LOVE reading this someday. Seriously.

Amy Hunter said...

To prove that I am not a genius, I spelled genius wrong in the above comments.

Crystal and Jordan said...

super cute!!!!

Debbie said...

The child is quite advanced - WATCH OUT - that's a double edge sword! I love Brianna stories - hmm, maybe I'm biased?

Becky said...

I think she will LOVE reading that when she is older. Good job Momma!

Unknown said...

What a little smartie pants! She sure is cute!

Unknown said...

What a smart cookie. (so funny) I love her excitement for timeout!