Thursday, December 31, 2009

The last Christmas post - I promise.

Since I'm spelling out every mundane detail of our relatively uneventful Christmas, I may as well continue with the rest...
I hope everyone has at least heard of the "5 Love Languages." I totally believe in that theory. The book(s) are wonderful. Brian's love language is gifts - he likes them. Lots of them. So I have to give him lots of gifts. But mine is more "acts of service." I do not want a lot of things. I want him to clean the house and give me backrubs and fold the laundry. So at the beginning of our marriage, we had trouble because he wanted to give me gifts, and I wanted to do service for him, but that's not what either of us interpreted as showing love. So we've learned. He just gave me one tangible gift this year - a gift cert to a spa here in town called "Better Than Chocolate." He rented to the owner, and she gave him a $300 gift card for a fraction of the price. That honestly makes me love the gift even more! It's a full spa day - mani/pedi, scalp massage, hair design (obviously, I could use it - but if they suggest more than a trim they'll get glared at), hot stone massage, facial.... can't wait!
I gave Brian a bunch of little things, and one big gift: 3 full suits from Jos A. Banks (I found a killer deal online). Pictured above is him opening the bag of "Island Teriyaki Jerky," a pizza cutter, a book by John Grisham called Playing For Pizza (he read it in a few days - a rarity for B!), and some movies - the Gordon B. Hinckley story, a BOM/restoration one, and a few blockbusters from the 90's that I picked up at a yard sale.
Bottom right photo: Brian with his gourmet breakfast - apple pancakes and Winder Farms bacon, on the "you are special" plate that Brianna broke yesterday. It was a wedding present. Now it is in the garbage, and added to the list of glass items Brianna has broken. Dang tile floor.
Top right photo: Brianna doing a nice, genuine smile (a rarity to catch on camera these days) with HER gourmet breakfast: Cheerios in almond milk. My gourmet breakfast: leftover chicken stirfry from the night before. Blame it on the pregnancy cravings.

3 comments:

Malerie said...

Enjoy that spa certificate!

Crystal and Jordan said...

love the pictures! Spa! so fun! No idea half the stuff you said they will do. So foreign to me

Unknown said...

I would kill for your spa day! If by chance, you are not able to make your appointment, let me know. I would drive all the way down there just for that! I think the suits is a great gift, especially when you find good deals on them!