Sunday, December 20, 2009

News from the Brianna-front

The excitement from the preg-discovery is dwindling. I've told everyone. Had the first doc appt. No sickness or expanding tummy yet to give me daily reminders. Next appt isn't until the end of Feb. (!) No need to start making any lists of names or sewing blankets (as if I could) or pulling out the old bassinet. Soooooooo..... on with life as usual.

Happenings in Brianna-world:

-She apparently thinks she's part of a different religion that likes to do a lot of shouting during worship services. Whenever she hears a speaker say "amen," she repeats back (as loud and long as she can):
"AAAAMMMEN!"

-Yesterday at the grocery store (I know - shouldn't I have learned my lesson never to bring her there again? But we were in Provo and I couldn't miss the chance to hit Buy Low Market) and Brianna quickly found her way to the candy shelf at the checkout stand. Before I could stop her, she took a big bite out of an item. So we had to pay for it. Did she at least choose something I would secretly enjoy? NO - with all the Mentos and Skittles and chocolatey goodies nearby... she had bit into Rolaids. Both us of left disappointed.

-She's reverting to baby behavior after having been Miss Independent for so long. She's extremely cuddly, begs to sleep in our bed, likes to be held cradle-style, wants to be rocked before naptime, insists on me feeding her, and says "baby" when she points to pictures of herself. I wonder if she understood our conversation about a new baby on the way??

-On our quick road trip this weekend, I began the 3 hr drive by explaining to Brianna that we would be in the car for a loooooonnng time, and that she should close her eyes and fall asleep. I used to do that every time before we'd make our bi-weekly Vernal-Provo commute. Works like a charm - within minutes, she's out.

-She still insists on calling someone after she's used the potty. We've stopped doing treats - she didn't care for it that much - but she wants me to call her Nonny or Papa or Daddy or Meredith to let them know what she did. I'd like to thank them all for their tolerance of the daily potty talk.

-Brianna amazes me with her speech development. I can ask her what she wants to do or what she did and she can tell me. Her sentences are getting longer and she uses correct pronouns most of the time. I strongly believe in not using baby-talk, poor grammar, or 3rd person with her. I have to remind Brian of this quite often, because that's what he automatically reverts to when with her. Why is that? Is it environment or instinct to speak to a child in diminutive language?

-Friday night she stayed up hours past bedtime. It was after 10pm when we finally got in the car to head to Spanish Fork. From 8pm (normal bedtime) to the time she crashed in the carseat, she was like a squirrel on crack. Literally - she never. stopped. talking. and. running. Random songs, random words, random requests, running circles, running into walls... I felt horrible. I really was so upset with myself for not planning ahead of time better so we'd have the car packed and all the presents prepared for the weekend. Then when we arrived after 1am, she wouldn't sleep in the pack n' play. We brought her into our bed so her crying wouldn't wake the whole house. She became a squirrel on sleep deprivation - waking every 20 minutes to change positions, kick me, move the pillow, say "Daddy's bed! Mommy's bed!" or try to pick my nose. Rough night, to say the least. As soon as the sun was kindof up (6:30 am) Brian took her upstairs so I could attempt napping til 10am.

-Her hair isn't growing fast enough. Or at all, maybe. The bangs are still an awkward length...and the back is an awkward, uneven length.... perhaps I should share my prenatals with her?

-I reallyreallyreally adore my little Brianna. More now than ever. I never imagined I could love a little person this much. Especially one who daily makes me want to punch the wall or hide in the closet. I just want to squeeze her and kiss her all the time. And I do.

4 comments:

Becky said...

VERY cute post. I totally know the feeling of want to hide in the closet and yet loving a little one SO much! It's weird but true.

Crystyne said...

She just might be understanding the "baby in your tummy talk" because Jeff and I asked the boys awhile back if they wanted another baby brother or sister.(NO we are not pregnant, or thinking about it in the near future) Ever since then Cooper has been acting like a baby, wanting to be held like a baby, and pointing at himself and saying "baby".

Unknown said...

I have heard that when children hit milestones, like going potty, they revert back into a baby for a little while. I don't know if that is what is going on with Brianna, but it sounds pretty fun! I would love to have Addison want to cuddle and snuggle with me. Brianna is such a little cutie and she seems to be growing up too fast!

Mary said...

I laughed out loud at the rolaids story. :) And I think it's awesome that she fell asleep so well for the car trip.

Congrats again on the expected arrival!