Wednesday, December 9, 2009

More fun to give

Although this is going to sound a little self-righteous and disgustingly virtuous (I hate public declarations of personal virtue) ... I really do enjoy giving more than receiving. I work really hard to find gifts for people that are personal and perfect for them. And inexpensive. Because that makes ME feel good. And it's all about ME. I wish I could blog about the gifts I'm working on and the ones I've finished... I'm SOOOO excited about some of them! But for obvious reasons, the only one I can safely write about is what we're giving to Brianna. As of a couple days ago I wasn't planning on getting her anything. I think it's a little silly to go all-out buying frivolous gifts for a child who doesn't know Christmas day from Flag Day, and who really enjoys playing with rocks and flushing the toilet over and over. Buuuut... I saw this deal and couldn't pass it up:

Here's the website description: Hooked on Phonics Learn Colors on the Go is perfect for both at home and on the go learning. The set includes a colorful write-on/wipe-off workbook filled with fun brain-building activities and an entertaining DVD with music videos and cartoons to help pre-k children learn about colors and patterns while traveling, or in the home. It reinforces color recognition, pattern recognition, matching and handwriting skills, and will have your pre-k children laughing, dancing, and learning about colors and patterns everywhere they go. The DVD and book will keep kids occupied while traveling and helping to prepare for kindergarten, and to become early readers! Perfect for at-home and on-the-go learning, Hooked on Math® Learn Numbers on the Go! is a colorful write-on/wipe-off book filled with brain-building activities and a fun and entertaining DVD featuring music videos, cartoons, and more. This book will have your child dancing, laughing, and learning about numbers everywhere you go. Reinforces:
  • Number recognition
  • Pattern recognition
  • Matching
  • Handwriting

  • Almost everything on the Hooked On Phonics website is 50% off with code HOP50. ANNNDD... free shipping! They usually only do free shipping for orders over $130. A month ago, the grand total for these two items would have been about $23, plus about $7 shipping. My grand total: $5.40! Hope she likes these.

    4 comments:

    Melissa said...

    Giving IS better (and more FUN) than receiving! We don't do sibling gift or parent gifts anymore. We just do things for other people. I honestly remember those things WAY more than what I got for Christmas a particular year. Christmas is so not even stressful that way :) Yes, I got my nose done. I had my deviated septum fixed and and some internal nose stuff fixed and then had a rhinoplasty and a chin implant for cosmetic. I am SO happy with it! Yes, Utah houses are boring. If I have to see another brown stucco house with brickwork only on the front that is literally 10 feet from their neighbors property line and a knotty alder front door with a wood sign with vinyl lettering that says 'Welcome' I just may barf. haha, ok I got carried away. Anyways, YEAH for uniqueness and individuality when it comes to homes!

    Debbie said...

    Gift giving is interesting. If I get going to early, I can go a little crazy. That feeling of excitement over giving when you think you have really scored is wonderful. I loved giving you the 5 generation photo. You give wonderful gifts!

    Crystal and Jordan said...

    Cheap gifts the better. Daniel's gifts this year are second hand. He doesnt know the difference...Oh wait I did buy a few books....all out gifts are handmade this year...so we have been busy....okay Jordan has been at school....so I have been busy

    Unknown said...

    I am totally going to check out the hooked on phonics stuff. I think Addison would love the math. We have colors down pretty good, but numbers are harder. She's memorized them, but has no idea what they mean.

    This year, I am making gifts. It is much cheaper (and this recession is killing me) and much more fun and meaningful.