Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm an April Fool

Before it gets ridiculously belated, I thought I should post about my April Fool's Day shenanigans. Disclaimer: I'm likely not as funny as I think I am. But humor me. At least with a courtesy-laugh.
Ok, so I had a dentist appt scheduled for April 1st. I don't even know my dentist very well - I'd only been to Jason Monfredi once previously - but he comes off as the intense-serious type. Like the I-studied-80-hours-a-week-through-dental-school-then-ended-up-in-Vernal-and-bitter-about-it type. But his hygenists are the giggly overly-friendly type (you know - where they try to have a conversation with you while cleaning your teeth and you have to give them one-word muffled answers while trying not to spit or drool but you don't want to be rude because they're genuinely nice).
Anyways - I showed up and checked in, telling the receptionists, "man, it's a good thing I had an appointment today - one of my teeth really needs to be checked out!" I smiled to let them see my dark red front tooth and gums. They gasped in shock and hurried me in to the chair. The hygenist came in, "so you have a tooth bothering you?" I said "yeah, it doesn't hurt, it just looks really bad" and I smiled for her. She jumped back and her eyes got wide with an expression of disgust and surprise. She leaned in fo a closer look... then the trick dawned on her and she playfully hit my shoulder saying, "oh, you goof!" We laughed. But then it got even better. She said, "hold on! Stay like that - I'll go get the doctor." I could hear her conversation with Monfredi, asking him to come take a look. He sounded confused, telling her to do the cleaning first, or at least get x-rays. She just kept insisting he come in NOW - keeping a straight face the whole time. So Dr. Monfredi walked in, and washed his hands while asking me, "so I hear you have a tooth bothering you?" "Yeah, I hit it this morning pretty hard." He put his gloves on, the funny binocular-goggles, and peered into my mouth. I smiled wide and he jumped back, "WHOA - what did you HIT it on?!?!" I started laughing - "A tube of LIPSTICK!" His eyes got wide and he looked seriously concerned. The hygenist had brought in the other hygenists by now, and they were all snickering. It took the doc a few seconds. Finally his shoulders slumped and an annoyed grin came over his face. He took his goggles off and shook his head saying, "you got me. they're never going to let me forget this."
Then the cleaning proceeded and the hygenist talked about my prank the whole time.
The April Fooling wasn't done though... while she jabbered away and I braved through those nasty trays on my teeth, I texted about 40 people saying "I'll be at your front door in seven minutes." The reactions to that were very entertaining. Only one person knew right off that I was April-fooling them.
The fun still wasn't over... I sent my mom a texting saying "some guy called me looking for u. Call him back 238-4126. Name is Mr. Lyon"
What's the phone number to? The ZOO! So can you picture it... she calls the zoo and says, "may I speak to Mr. Lyon?"
I know you're laughing right now.
But if you're not... picture Brian coming home at the end of the day to a sign on the front door, "Please use back door," then walking around the house to see a sign on the back door, "please use front door."
:)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're pretty funny! I was laughing!

Allison said...

Sounds like fun. I'm going to have to try the back/front door thing.

Amy Hunter said...

I'm seriously guffawing. You are so much fun. I love the back door/front door joke the best. I'm going to use that one tomorrow. Who needs April Fool's Day? We did something similar with Eric's Dad one year, we told him to call a certain number and ask for Myra Maines. It was a funeral home. Get it? I know, it's an oldy. You've probably already heard that one. But, he hadn't, and it worked. It was classic.

Jen & the Claw said...

Oh my gosh! That was too funny! I'll have to keep those awesome ideas in mind for April Fool's next year! That's for ending my day with a laugh!

Sam and Melissa said...

HA ha. I am glad to hear you still do stuff like that. Only you would have laughed when we threw an exploding water balloon in your bed while you were sleeping... :) Well guess what! I talked to Diana and she lives in Salt Lake now and she's going to run the race with us. Reunion!!!

Julie said...

Yep - I remember getting that text! at the time I had none of my phone numbers programmed in my phone and was like - what and who they heck is coming over? haha.... then I finally figured it out!!! you rock!!

Holly said...

That's pretty funny. How did you keep a straight face?

Dear Chicka said...

Chelsea, I look forward everyday to read your blog! I gave you an award on my How-To Gal Blog, you should check it out :)

BBS said...

You are absolutely hilarious! I can't believe all you did for April Fools.

Jenna said...

Got to admit - I'm pretty entertain w/ your pranks!

Mandy said...

I was laughing pretty hard! (Andy is in the next room and asked me what I was laughing about) Love all of the pranks! I'll have to try them sometime! :)

Crystal and Jordan said...

so funny....was i the one who knew?