Monday, April 20, 2009

Nickel Auction for the VernalMOMS night out

Saturday night was easily the most (non-family) fun I've had here in Vernal.
My VernalMOMs group does monthly "Mom's Night Out" events. Typically they go out to dinner, or a movie, or bowling, or some combination. Not a lot of options in Vernal, but I'm sure they have a good time. I've never attended - we've always been out of town. Even if we weren't... I typically would rather spend the time with B & b.
But not LAST Saturday! I said adios to my loved ones and had an awesome time with the ladies.
I was somewhat obligated to go, since the activity was my suggestion... but you couldn't have paid me NOT to go! Well, maybe if you paid me well over $10, since that was about what I net-profited...
ok, enough with the rambling. This is what we did:

A NICKEL AUCTION! Here's Carrie (our fearless leader) explaining the rules (10 min max per person, no commentary on the item, 5-cent increment bids, etc). I'm in the right corner, barely visible, but with a look on my face like, "hmmm....I wonder how I can best milk this..."

Group shot, before the auction began. We had a little potluck, of course. Many of the VernalMOM events involve food. I have a love-hate outlook on that. And don't ask about my pose. It's just the way I roll.

As I said, I was voted to begin the auction. I think people thought I knew what I was doing. I didn't. The only reason I suggested this activity was because my sister-in-law Tia (well, she's actually my sister-in-law's sister - so are we technically related? Dunno) sent me an email with a link to a KSL article and video segment on the popularity of nickel auctions. Apparently they're going on all over, and have been for years. Tia goes to one every month in Ogden! I immediately fell in love with the idea. So I suggested it to the right VernalMOMs to get the ball rolling, and starting digging around my house for funny stuff to auction off. It didn't take me long to have a couple boxes full. I'm not a pack-rat...I just hold on to certain possessions for long periods of time in case I need them someday...way different than pack-ratting. Anyway - so I gladly went up and entertained the group with my one-liners and silly auctioneering. I really have no fear of public speaking. It's like the classic phobia for the populace... but I have no problem going up in front of others and looking ridiculous. I not-so-secretly enjoy the adrenaline rush.  I hit my 10-minute limit, but later on other ladies donated their extra minutes to me so I could finish. They wanted my goods.

My good friend Jen - who gets the credit for all these pics (thankyou!) She was so cute up there playing auctioneer. I think she's the one that sold me the "fresh-cut grass" candle for 10 cents. It really smells like freshcut grass. Kinda gross. Keeping it for future gag gift (or future nickel auction - maybe I can sell it for 20 cents! 50% ROI there!)

Kayli was the queen of selling books. I came home with a few DOZEN of them - the cardboard kind - much more resistant to chewing (Brian just can't keep his teeth off those baby books. Yes, I said Brian.) She was the recipient of many of my nickels (which actually - I forgot to BRING! Fortunately I was the first auctioneer, so I was able to use my earnings for later bidding).

Holly was a newcomer, invited by Jen. I think she was a little in shock about how flippin cool our mom's group is. I explained to her that she was welcome to join... AFTER the passing the initiation hazing.

Naomi, my slightly-on-the-quiet-side friend, auctioning off one of those really ancient cameras...the kind that require FILM... vaguely remember those ... Even quiet, reserved Naomi got into the boisterous bidding! She was kicking herself for not out-bidding Tina for the froggy camping pillow I auctioned off (I won it at some 5K - got $1.35 for it!)

After-party-party. I hung out there til 10pm. Yes, 10pm! Told you it was a wild crazy night.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I had SUCH a good time and am already thinking of things to sell at our next auction! Thanks for the idea!

Tia Langston said...

Sooo glad you tried it...isn't it totally fun! But, wow, no commentary on the items? That's tough! We usually try to talk up the 5 cent items like they are worth big bucks...giving useful ideas for them and stuff. But your facial expressions could probably sell a few things. :o) Oh, and by-the-way our nickel auction group is in Bountiful, not Ogden....since obviously you still think we live in Ogden! lol Which, we're not even in Bountiful anymore - moved to our house in Clearfield....are you confused yet?

Debbie said...

Well, I think you are on to something - which is better than ON something. Did you say you WERE able to go the RS mtg. program on energy drinks BEFORE the auction? Hmmm...

Sam and Melissa said...

That is an awesome idea!!!!! I am going to copy you and do it with a group of friends. I love it.

Crystal and Jordan said...

great idea...way to be in a girls club! ha ha i will for sure need one of those come fall

Merrell Family said...

I swear that I'm not blog stalking you. I just typed in VernalMOMs group and your blog showed up. Can you tell me how to get involved? Can anyone come? I have a cousin who just moved to Vernal and is looking for a great group to join. Could you let me know at mindy.merrell@gmail.com? Thanks!

Holly said...

I had a great time at the auction. It was a pleasure meeting you as well. By the way, I just realized I look like I'm holding a fish.

Mandy said...

That sounds like a ton of fun!