Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Wolverine and Conference


We started off the General Conference weekend with a little 5K at UVU in Orem. Calling it "little" would be an understatement. It's probably the dinkiest fun run I've ever been to. Only about 18 people showed up, the course was very poorly marked, the weather was nasty (not their fault, but still), no refreshments, lame finishline, no bibs, no awards, and the charitable cause was questionable. And of all the 5Ks Brian actually chooses to participate in with me... this was it. Sheesh.
That's what I get for being lame and skipping out on the BIG 5K in Provo. I just get embarrased at those "real" races. I keep telling myself I'll go to them when I'm in better shape.

Brian's amazing though - the man hardly ever works out, yet RAN the whole 3.1 miles - even in a decent time! We arrived late and they actually started the race a couple minutes before we got there - so we had to rush out. Brian yelled to me, "you better win that wolverine!" The entire ride home, he talked about how excited he was to give it to Brianna [c'mon everyone - awwww]. She loved it - but when we gave it to her, she hugged it and said "BEH!BEH!" (translation: bear). In her world, every stuffed animal is a bear.


Whatever you wanna call it - I was grateful to have it because it helped distract her a little so she didn't distract US from General Conference.

That bought us a few minutes, anyways. Between a rambuntious toddler, IN-LAWS, bday parties, errands... I didn't get to enjoy conference like I'm used to on Saturday. Thank goodness for the Conference edition Ensign!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Ha! Good story about the 5K! And the wolverine. B is looking so old!!! What a cutie!

Marilyn said...

I admire you for keeping up the running in spite of having a toddler. Congratulation on your win (even if you thought it was small potatoes).

valmike said...

Yes, wolverine! I'm proud tha tyou didn't think it was a badger. Growing up in Michigan those little guys are pretty well recognized, but everywhere else... He's cute though! Eryn thinks that every stuffed animal is a puppy or a "beer" (bear to the rest of us). -VAL

Mandy said...

Well why would the schedule a 5K in UTAH on conference Saturday? I could have guessed it would have been low attendance (although from your decription, it sounds like it would have been small anyway!!) So cute that Brianna loves her "bear."

I totally know what you mean about not getting as much out of conference with kids! Although, this year, the girls actually sat through a talk or two! And just yesterday someone mentioned conference and Abigail got all excited, "WE had conference!" Kids are funny!

Amy Hunter said...

You fought the good fight, you finished the race! I really think it's funny that you don't think you are in good enough shape for the big races. That is laughable. Honestly. You are incredibly fit, my lovely friend!