Saturday, April 18, 2009

bitten by the masochistic lion...


... like a year after everyone else. But it was an accident, I promise.
So it went down like this: I had my Monday free Redbox code and was looking for something to watch while on the treadmill to keep me distracted. Twilight was on the first screen page of options. Something inside me said, "no! Don't go there! You know you have no self-control... you'll get sucked in like everyone else!"
But... it was just a movie, right?
A very, very good movie... watched it twice to make sure...
Then Brianna had a playdate with Hayden, whose mother had the series sitting on her bookshelf. I inquired casually, "so you're a Twilighter? I just saw the movie yesterday... I wish it had more character development...I was thinking of reading the books, but I just don't have time..." And suddenly the books were in my hand, with a look from Deb like, "where have YOU been?"
Well, I've been living in "I don't read fiction" world. It's not that I avoided the craze because I'm too pious to join a fad... I just can't bring myself to sit down and read when my sink is full of dishes and there are crumbs on the carpet.
But then I realized... there are 8 hours every night when I'm doing nothing but laying around!
Kidding.
I'm halfway into the 2nd book. I'd be done with them by now, but I force myself to sleep, eat, shower...
No, actually I have a rule - I can only read while multi-tasking. IE - while on a cardio machine at the gym, while driving (book on CD), or while following Brianna around at the park. She's been getting a lot of park time lately.
So - let's do a rollcall - I'd like to know if I'm really the last person on earth to read the series.
Fess up.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I've read them all, and the manuscript from Edward's point of view, and seen the movie four times...

Sarah said...

I hear you on not reading novels anymore. Never thought it'd happen to me, but the time and interest isn't there now.

I don't think you're the last person to Twilight, but pretty close! I started reading the series a year ago after we found out we were moving to Forks.

Chelsea and Cody said...

I am so glad that you are reading them! I just finished reading them for the 2nd time last week! I love them! Everyone hates the 2nd book, but it is my favorite...good luck!

Marilyn said...

I have not read the books or seen the movie. So---that's the view of one senior citizen!

Ashley said...

I am thinking you may be one of the last that I have heard of. There are some parts in especially book 4 to watch out for, but other than that, they are pretty great. I love reading fiction books though, it is something that I have always enjoyed, even when I have dishes to do.

Tia Langston said...

Haven't read them...but i do have a couple crazed friends why seem to looove them. :o)

Malerie said...

Haha. Sorry you got sucked in. I thought they were entertaining. A little mushy at times, but fun be drawn into a series.
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I just read them after having my baby a few weeks aago, yes for the first time. And Yes I loved them and looked forward to waking up at night to nurse because I could read them. I finished the series in 5 days!

Amy Hunter said...

Yes! They are addictive aren't they? I love that you are a multitasker too. That is my reading world. On the stair machine or in between reps, or on the eliptical. I guess I need to do more reading. hee hee hee.

Unknown said...

I love the books. Book two was not my favorite, but by the time I got to book four, I was dreaming about the characters.

Jami & Mark said...

Nope......I think I will be the last one to ever read em. Stuck in the academic, non-fictional reading world for now (and it seems like eternity). You are definitely not the last one to get into it, not sure I will.......I will keep you posted.

Unknown said...

yep. mine started at an airport 1.5 ago. i needed a book to read and it was just sitting there. I finished the next 2 within the next week and bought the fourth the day it came out. it happens to the best of us. i made my mom read them too.

Debbie said...

I think I blogged about reading the Twilight series. For me it was a return to my teenage years - my favorite them were werewolves, vampires and romance - all quite innocent at that time. When they bridged over to occult type vibes, they lost me. I have read Meyers first "adult" novel - The Host - and liked it. Actually, things get more "adult" in the later Twilight books.

Whitney said...

don't worry chels, I've never read them and don't plan on it, but I have seen the movie. my sister-in-laws are both fanatics about it though.

Mandy said...

I read the first book last Aug. or Sept. (I bought just the first one to see if I liked it before I bought them all) Then I bought and read volumes 2-4 a month or two later. (couldn't find the hardcovers in a store, so had to order them online.) I liked them, they were very addicting while reading them. Not sure if I would let my girls read them until they are married! :) But then, I am overprotective! :) (really it's just the 4th that I thought was a little to much for teenagers to be reading!)

Anyway, I read the books before seeing the movie, and I really didn't love the movie. I watched it twice to be sure, but I didn't like it. I think if I had seen the movie before reading the books I would have liked it more . . .

Welcome to the Twilight craze! :)