Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When it rains, it pours...

Just this morning I said to a friend, "With all I'm going through right now, I'm just grateful all my kids are healthy. I couldn't handle it if they had any issues too."
Well, apparently I can, because "the Lord never gives us a trial we can't handle," right? (scripture citation needed - couldn't find it).
Last night Brianna suddenly started complaining of stomach pain. She started crying and breathing swallow and stumbling around bent over holding her abdomen. I thought maybe it was gas pain because she got into a pack of gum. Ten minutes into her sobbing I got her to lay down with me. She fell asleep for a few minutes and woke up completely happy and normal. I figured (hoped, prayed) that it was random and fleeting and we could move on. Nope. It happened again this morning, then again this evening. But the crying didn't stop this evening. So I called her doc and of course couldn't talk to him (why can't doctors ever talk to you on the phone?!?!) so I had to bring her in. Well, not me of course. Mom did. With Brian, who had to leave work early (not easy for him) and I had to get my neighbor to drop everything and come stay with me and the babies, since I still am not mobile enough to tend them both solo. So getting Brianna to the doctor was quite the feat. Glad we did though... my poor baby has STREP THROAT! So so so sad. Apparently stomach pain is a symptom (?) and she's contagious for 24 hours and hurting for about that long too. So she'll be fine by tomorrow/Thursday. Until then, pray the 3 adults and 2 babies in this house are spared! Maybe I shouldn't have let Brianna go out on so many playdates around town.
Sorry, friend Emily - hope you don't catch this too!

5 comments:

Malerie said...

Oh Chelsea! I'm so sorry! And poor little Brianna! Good luck. Hang in there!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Oh dear. I was carrying her today. If I get strep I will know who to thank.. :) At least the mystery is solved.

Julie said...

oh man! your family deserves a break! get better soon!

Joolz said...

Oh no, strep is so nasty, but with treatment so easy to overcome. Motrin BABY!!! I have heard from several doctors that babies can't get it. Good Luck!!!
Julie D

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so glad that your mom has been there to help you and Brian with everything that is going on! Brianna looks so cute on her little bike. She is so grown up!